Partial mash brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sundy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been searching but can not find what I am looking for. I brew extract, partial mash to be exact. I would like software or a spreadsheet that is written for partial mash brewing. The other options out are probably great but I am having trouble getting the setup right. It seems that all are geared to all-grain. If you know of an extract brewing software please share it with me, I appreciate any help you can give me.

I also mostly brew partial extract, and I use brewersfriend.

Under "brew method" you can select Partial Mash. I don't usually fiddle with that, though. My process is usually to:
  1. adjust a recipe for my system
  2. plug in my numbers without the extract I'll add, and take notes of volumes I might reach during/after sparging, and the gravity at those volumes
  3. after sparging, plug in the volume and efficiency I reached
  4. plug back in the extract, adjust my hops, if necessary

Although I don't do partial mashes, my home grown excel program can easily handle. Just need to set the percentages of the fermentables and it will tell you the pounds of grains to mash and the the extract to add to the kettle based on your expected efficiencies. All the gravities and volumes will be calculated for you.

Give it a try, if you have questions, I can answer any and help you set it up for your system. Latest version link is here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ct5whk6i2rwv3x0/Buildabeer v7.2 DB.xlsm?dl=0

BrewCipher supports partial mash. You just specify the extracts right along with the grains (in the grain bill). It knows the difference and what to do with each in the calcs.

http://sonsofalchemy.org/library/

Thank you I am looking at your suggestions right now.
I returned to extract brewing because I am more interested in the beer than the process. If I get in the weeds on the process it can lock me up. I make damn good beer (in my not so humble opinion) and want to document and convert some of my old beers to the ingredients that are available today. It is eye-opening that so many extracts I used in the early '90s are no longer available.

I do porters, browns, pale ales. I like a robust grain taste and feel, not bitter just enough to balance the sweetness. I will have to pull out my recipes to give you names. My recipes are on random pieces of paper stuffed in a clone brew book. That is why I need some software!

With regard to (possible) missing styles, there are a number of people here who have mentioned brewing enjoyable beers with some of the specialty (or style specific) liquid extracts that Williams Brewing sells. Not sure if those styles have made their way into the ingredient list for various software packages.

I am brewing kits, I want to buy bulk extract so I can save some money over kits. A 50 LBs bag of Breiss pale DME is $145. I can buy hop pellets in bulk too. Being retired I have more time than money.

I have "North American Clone Brews" Year 2000, "Zymurgy" Vol 14 No.4 Special 1991 with Traditional Beer Styles, and all the recipes for the National Homebrew Winners for that year. Plus my Bock brewing book for my Maibock and Dobblebock beers. If I can get the beers I like into a software program I can make all the stuff I like. Hopefully.

It is really not essential. I am going all DME and Yellow Dog was LME. It might have been the house brand from The Home Brewery in Ozark, Mo.

Although I don't do partial mashes, my home grown excel program can easily handle. Just need to set the percentages of the fermentables and it will tell you the pounds of grains to mash and the the extract to add to the kettle based on your expected efficiencies. All the gravities and volumes will be calculated for you.

Give it a try, if you have questions, I can answer any and help you set it up for your system. Latest version link is here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ct5whk6i2rwv3x0/Buildabeer v7.2 DB.xlsm?dl=0
I'm sorry I sure your spreadsheet is great but it is way over the top for what I'm trying to do. Thanks.

Back