Partial Mash Bag Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownyard

Reaction score
I'm going to do my first partial mash soon, and will need a bag large enough to hold at least 6 lb of grains, but not way too big for a 5 gallon/22 liter pot. Northern Brewer sells a 2' x 3', but it seems like that might be overkill. Will the freebie muslin bags included for steeping grains at Northern Brewer be large enough? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Don't use the muslin bags, get a nylon bag. The grains are going to contribute a good amount of your fermentables you want to have a lot of space so they can be loose in the bag and you can stir. You can use a 5 gal paint strainer bag but I like the 24x24in bags (morebeer) for my 2.5 gal BIAB batches with 6-8 lb grainbills. It's much easier to stir if you get a bag that can fit over the edges of the pot. (I use a 5 gal pot for mashing).

Last edited:
Thanks. I think I'll try out the 5 gallon paint strainers for starters.

I've used paint strainer bags from Home Depot and Menards for BIAB. The ones from Menards were much finer mesh, so fine that it was more difficult to get the wort out. Both get me the same efficiency.

Back