partial boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might be able to get away with doing a 2 gallon boil. Just be careful that it doesn't boil over. Its not going to be the greatest beer ever, but you can do it.

That's a little too small, although I'm sure some have done it before. Do you have fermcap or any anti-foaming agent? That would allow you to put as much wort as possible in the pot without fear of boilovers.

I also might suggest brewing a smaller batch. If you're using a 5g kit, just add less top-off water and make stronger beer. Or maybe split it and brew twice. I'd try not to top off more than half your final volume.

That being said, in a pinch, I'd brew with a 10 quart pot rather than not brew at all.

If you are going to split it into 2 two gallon boils, make sure you have an effective way to cool them.

If you are going to split it into 2 two gallon boils, make sure you have an effective way to cool them.

put one in the sanitized fermenter while still hot, it will cool while you brew batch numero dos. Add the second batch to the fermenter after chilling, then pitch yeast. BAM!

I am still leaning toward 2 gallon boil... it will be like making an extract kit beer (some of which require no boil at all). Boil 2 gallons, cool for just a little bit, maybe in a sink full of cold water, then top off with 3 gallons cold water in the fermenter. Cold break, down to temp quickly, ready to pitch in half the time...

The problem is that 2 gallons will boil down to 1 over the course of an hour. I suppose there is no rule against adding water during the boil <shrug> I have never done that, and it would probably help with hop utilization and help to minimize carmelization to do so.

The problem is that 2 gallons will boil down to 1 over the course of an hour. I suppose there is no rule against adding water during the boil <shrug> I have never done that, and it would probably help with hop utilization and help to minimize carmelization to do so.

I've actually done that. I boiled water in a smaller pot and topped off on the fly. Boiling water alone let's you push that pot closer to its limit.

cool the split boil sounds better.. im still looking around for a larger pot i just have that one on hand. awsome input i will figure it out.

Latest posts

Back