Panel design software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigFloppy

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good panel design software both internal wiring and front panel design?

I know there are some commercial packages out there but they're ludicrously expensive, wondering if there's a cheaper alternative (and not paper based), prefer drag n drop interface.

I'm going to be doing all my wiring into DIN rail connectors because I've got a couple of hundred wago connectors sat doing nothing, it might also make for a clean panel that will allow for full automation build in the future

I'm planning my panel for a 3 Gas Burner, 2 pump, BCS system and was looking for software packages as well.

I found on Ebay a student version of AutoCAD Electrical 2014 at a reasonable price. It will stamp a watermark on the side of drawing stating for non commercial use. But for my use it will work.

The software will allow you to build point to point wiring diagrams and to layout enclosures and PLC's. Maybe a little overkill. There is definitely a learning curve. In fact, I'm trying to find out how to show 3 way 2NO switches.

Good luck!

Check out some of my diagrams. I use Microsoft Image Composer to develop and draw the diagrams.

For me it is a very useful tool. Plus you can get free versions of it from Microsoft (Google search).

P-J

P-J,

Your drawings are absolutely fantastic! You are right maybe instead of reinventing the wheel, looking for a diagram that has already been created is an option.

I tried searching and found a thread of your e-brewing diagrams. I couldn't find a 3 burner, 2 pump,Honeywell gas BCS diragram however. And by the time you add on additional options like a float switches in the MT and HLT and Buzzer and reset, its unlikely you will find your exact diagram. Is there a secret location of diagrams that I haven't found?

Is there a sticky with image components available that you use in your diagrams? (SSR's, Contactors, Termimnal Blocks, etc.)

Also the diagrams on ebrewsupply.com are good examples. I think they are done with Visio.

P-J,

Your drawings are absolutely fantastic! You are right maybe instead of reinventing the wheel, looking for a diagram that has already been created is an option.

I tried searching and found a thread of your e-brewing diagrams. I couldn't find a 3 burner, 2 pump,Honeywell gas BCS diragram however. And by the time you add on additional options like a float switches in the MT and HLT and Buzzer and reset, its unlikely you will find your exact diagram. Is there a secret location of diagrams that I haven't found?

Is there a sticky with image components available that you use in your diagrams? (SSR's, Contactors, Termimnal Blocks, etc.)

Also the diagrams on ebrewsupply.com are good examples. I think they are done with Visio.

Well here is a BCS diagram that might help you. It does not have float switches as I have no idea how you would go about using them on a gas fired rig. Anyway, I hope it helps you.

As always click on the image to see and save a full scale diagram that is printable on Tabloid paper (11"x 17")

Ugghhh....Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Thanks for the drawing. The float switches are to control the sparge and fire off the buzzer to indicate a sparge that is complete.

I did have a question. I have seen other drawings that wire from the BCS to the 3 way switches and then to the SSR and to the item to be controlled (pump etc.) Your drawing goes from the BCS to the SSR to the 3 way switches and then the item to be controlled. Does it matter which way?

Ugghhh....Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Thanks for the drawing. The float switches are to control the sparge and fire off the buzzer to indicate a sparge that is complete.

I did have a question. I have seen other drawings that wire from the BCS to the 3 way switches and then to the SSR and to the item to be controlled (pump etc.) Your drawing goes from the BCS to the SSR to the 3 way switches and then the item to be controlled. Does it matter which way?
Basically this diagram is set up to control low power devices. The gas burner controllers draw very little current. The other diagrams are setup to control electric elements through contactors.

Back