Pale Lager Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distributistdad

Reaction score
So, putting together a pale lager recipe to brew this afternoon. I've got a nice 40-45 degree garage for the foreseeable future, and I've had a packet of lager yeast sitting for a while, waiting to use it.

That said, LHBS is closed today, so I'm limited to the ingredients I have on hand. I'm wanting to make a Mosiac-heavy pale ale similar in character to New Belgium's Shift Lager.

Here's what I have:

5.5 gal batch
60 min boil

Mash @ 150 for 60 min.

Grain bill:

9 lbs 2-Row
1 lb Honey Malt

.33 oz Sorachi Ace (14.7%) @ 60 min
.33 oz Mosaic (11.2%) @ 60 min
1 oz Mosaic (11.2%) @ 6 min
1 oz Mosaic (11.2%) @ 4 min
1.66 oz Mosaic (11.2%) @ 2 min

Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Hi, I moved this from the recipe database, which is for tried-and-true recipes, to the Recipes/Ingredients forum, where tests and questions are best addressed.

I think this looks like an interesting recipe, lots of Mosaic goodness. It might be interesting to move some of the 60 minute Mosaic to 20, 15 or 10 minutes, just provide a little more variance.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

I like what you've done here.

A couple of things if it were my recipe (and one day it may!)... Wondering why you have measured some of the hops in thirds. I am so ingrained with quarters it ain't funny!

Another is the pound of honey malt. For a pale lager it may overwhelm the beer with sweetness. I would do no more than a half pound, personally.

I would definitely brew as you have it then make adjustments as you decide. Hope it turns out well.

I like what you've done here.

A couple of things if it were my recipe (and one day it may!)... Wondering why you have measured some of the hops in thirds. I am so ingrained with quarters it ain't funny!

Another is the pound of honey malt. For a pale lager it may overwhelm the beer with sweetness. I would do no more than a half pound, personally.

I would definitely brew as you have it then make adjustments as you decide. Hope it turns out well.
I agree its too much honey malt and 1/2 pound is the upper limit for what I can stand as well. I'd replace the rest with carapils or just regular pils. Maybe even Victory or Munich if you wanted to change it up

First, I apologize for not checking this in ages. Thank you to the moderator who moved the thread and the other replies.

I've only brewed this once, and I agree about the honey making it too sweet. It's certainly not bad, but probably .5-.75 lb would be better.

As far as the hopping is concerned I liked the way the recipe turned out, though I'm not sure I'd use the Sorachi in the future. I think that one could insert another hop (Citra will be the one I try) to get a really nice flavor.

So, all in all, the beer is good not great. I think I'll sub Citra in the next batch and perhaps try replacing the honey with three different specialty malts in .25 / .25 / .25 lb amounts (Victory, Munich, Honey, Carapils, perhaps Oats). I think the hopping schedule does well to really showcase a hop in a nice pale ale and only uses 4 oz per 5 gallons.

Reviving this thread because I really enjoyed Shift lager back when I tried it a few years back.

Has anyone else come close to the original?

Back