Pale Ale Malt vs. 2-row Pale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstar26t

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Reaction score
Just a heads up...

The last two batches I designed called for 2-row Pale Malt as the base malt. I usually just print out the beersmith recipe and hand it to the LHBS guy. Beersmith shows "Pale Malt (2-row) US" but my receipts show "Briess Pale Ale Malt". After watching the employee like a hawk this last time, sure enough, he took the grain from the pail marked "Briess Pale Ale Malt".

So basically, this just means my last two batches will be maltier than I wanted?

On the plus side, after correcting the potential specific gravity input (1.034 down from 1.036) in my efficiency calculator spreadsheet, the last 2 batches efficiencies were higher...up 3% to 87%.

Well, Briess is US and their Pale Ale Malt is 2-row. What Beersmith has for a generic "Pale Malt (2-row) US" may be an average of a variety of US 2-row pale malts. Also the extract potential can vary from year to year so if you are worried about something at the .002 level then you should probably have your LHBS get the tech sheet from Breiss for what ever lot number they are currently selling and update Beersmith's values. Or you could RDWHAHB.

Edit: Here is a good article on Malt Analysis from Brewing Techniques

I saw those product sheets but don't see potential specific gravity info?

edit: hmmm...looks like it has to be calculated

edit #2: After doing the math, the Pale Ale Malt is 1.0343 and the 2-row is 1.0348. Stressed out over nothing.

Back