Palate Wrecker Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bored4long

Reaction score
I just had this for the first time last night. It is by far my favorite IIPA. I'm praying someone can point me to a clone.

I know that they make make hopped wort and then use that as the mash water for the beer. Aside from that, I have no other clue

It is along the lines of making a 1060 wort, boiling and hopping it and then cooling it to strike temps and mashing in again with the 1060 wort as the strike water. Then running the mash off again and boiling again and adding more hops.

It is such a great beer I'd love to see a good clone for it.

This might be the hardest to correctly clone, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would also love to see a recipe for this. I would suggest emailing green flash. Or just go ahead and brew the recipe on brewtoad and compare the outcome to the real deal, and adjust the recipe as needed.

Subscribing.

One of my favorites. Hopefully someone figures out a clone.

Brew toad recipe looks promising however, I'd say about a pound total of Centennial, Cascade AND Simcoe for a 5g batch (GF advertises 6 lb/barrel). The hop layering and amounts is the trick here. You get a strong dose of the the dank, piney and "catty" aroma and flavor from the Simcoe in this one so I'm guessing Simcoe in late addition and dry hop only. Definitely worth a shot at cloning since it's in season.

I'm fine with all the hops. I have of few pounds of each of those already. My brew calendar is full for the next 2 months so I won't be able to get to it anytime soon. Might try it this summer.

This beer is more about having a good process then recipe. Not even using their process, but knowing how you can make a solid clean hoppy 10+% beer, healthy yeast and minimizing the oxygenation that happens post fermentation.

Here's what I would do.

%90 golden promise
%5 crystal 40
%5 dextrose

Target 1.090
Final gravity 1.011

Target around 50 IBUs at 30 min 1 oz centennial & Columbus
Target 20 IBUs at 5 minutes 1 oz simcoe 1 oz Columbus & centennial
2 oz of all 3 hops at whirlpool (30 minutes)
6 oz hops dry hop 1 oz of each in 2 doses. Make sure yeast is not in suspension, second dose with whole cone hops in keg.

May not be the recipe they use but this will be hoppy, dank, and piney.

Back