Paint thinner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windaria

Reaction score
I have heard some people using champaigne yeast for their cider and the like, so I figured that I would use that... I also figured that I would use it for my hard lemonade and wine. All of it has an off rubbery flavor and I don't understand it. Is it because of the yeast? The stuff is like trying to drink turpentine.

I doubt it's the yeast. Champaign yeast is about as neutral as yeasts get. I've probably used it on 8-10 batches over the last four years and have never gotten off flavors.

I did find this: "Phenols from infection are nasty – medicine, paint thinner, Band-Aids, bleach. ...but the other bacterial phenols are always a sign of an infection."

<sighs> If that is what it is then I will hang my head and simply start using starsan and use it on everything. <sighs> Oh how wrong I can be, oh how very wrong.

Everything just has such a rubbery taste poisonous taste to it.

bleach, but then I continued to rinse real well to get the bleach out... I'd heard others say that was fine, so I figured to go that route... I was too worried that the taste of a sanitizer would foul the brew. <hangs head>

I have now learned my lesson, starsan will now be my best friend.

Well I used the bleach wash, then I rinsed. Then I rinsed with vinegar, then I rinsed again. I wanted to make sure that the bleach was well washed out so there would be no flavoring as a result. I didn't want to even taste a hint of bleach.

Anyway... yeah. I guess that Starsan will become my best friend.

So did you use Champagne Yeast from the start? What OG and FG did you achieve and how did you secondary/bottle it? Give us more clues please!
I'd say soaking in (VERY MILD) bleachy water as a sanitiser is probably ok too. Just rinse really well in clean water after (No vinegar!!!)

No idea on the OG and FG, I am starting up on a bit of a minimalist setup at the moment simply because I am between jobs and can't justify too much.

As for the rinsing, I have learned my lesson, from now on I will be a starsan convert.

Since I tasted from the primary though, putting it into the secondary wasn't an issue simply because that hadn't happened yet. That said, after tasting, when I did put it into the secondary, I just went with my original methods simply because I don't have starsan yet (will get that soon), and because it was likely already infected (the local homebrew asked me a lot of suggestions then said that chances are that is what it was). As a result I dropped some capdem tablets in (after a good crushing) and am hoping that maybe the funkiness will mellow with time.

And yes, Champagne yeast for all of it. Kind of wish I didn't now, I didn't really want something that would be so dry. Oh well.

Windaria said:
As a result I dropped some capdem tablets in (after a good crushing) and am hoping that maybe the funkiness will mellow with time.

Hopefully so - you can but try but if an infection is in they'll be little chance of it going away fully.

Windaria said:
And yes, Champagne yeast for all of it. Kind of wish I didn't now, I didn't really want something that would be so dry. Oh well.

That's what champagne yeast does i'm afraid, Dry as a bone if left to ferment out. The harshness i think will be to do with Champagne Yeast. You've made a lower alcohol apple WINE not cider in my understanding of your posts and that'll taste like turps till it ages out. If the 'funkiness' goes you could always brew a sweet cider next time and blend it?

Back