Oxidation fear...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpelon

Reaction score
This is my second batch.. my first batch, an IPA turned out pretty good...

This second batch is a random hop-ness of good stuff... anyways, heres my question:

Reading about oxidation has got me freaked.... when I transferred this brew from 1st to 2nd i was very careful... no splashing... today when i went to take a reading with my hydrometer, i sucked out some of the brew (i use a turkey baster attached to a tube... works wonders), and dumped that amount in my testing tube... when i put the turker baster-tube back into my carboy for a second pull, I accidentally squeezed the rubber of the turkey baster and "blubbed" a couple air bubbles into my brew...

how screwed am I? I'm pretty sure fermentation is done now, I'm just keeping it in the carboy for a few more days since im dry-hopping to get a good nose on the beer... there is still some co2 leaking out through the airlock... does that mean that its going to push out whatever o2 i might have introduced via mr. turkey?

thank you.

No. You're worrying too much. You need to relax. This is a fun hobby. Not only are you not screwed, you are blessed with the ability to make beer. Enjoy it. RDWHAHB.

RDWHAHB_license_plate.JPG

Your about this screwed.....

rex-grossman-screwed.jpg

Naw, just messing with you. Few bubbles isnt enough to do any damage. I am sure it will be fine and quite tasty! :mug:

Unless you turkey basket was as big as rocket! Oxidation occurs when too much oxygen is added, not a squir from the turkey basted.

The lisence plate is priceless!

there is still some co2 leaking out through the airlock... does that mean that its going to push out whatever o2 i might have introduced via mr. turkey?

It won't "push it out", it will use it up. Yeast eat oxygen, and can deal with small amounts that sneak in.

Phew, thanks everybody I feel tons better.... i already had a taste of this brew and dang... was it nice (gotta sip the test tube).... I know I'll be on this forum for a long time to come.

Back