Overpriced LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamrockdoc

Reaction score
Its sad that this place here in Tacoma(Lakewood) Wa has these outrageous prices for brewing! 30 bucks for a brew belt 8 bucks for ball-locks? Everything they sell is double what you can find on the interwebz. I'm perfectly happy driving to Portland to get my brewing supplies.

Have you driven to Larrys in the Kent area?

I know the grain prices are nice. I don't keg so I can't vouch for the other items they sell.

I know the place you speak of; they are a bit on the high side.

Since you don't seem to be adverse to driving, give Olympic Brewing in Bremerton a try. Everything there is dirt cheap and the staff are terrific.

Have you driven to Larrys in the Kent area?

I know the grain prices are nice. I don't keg so I can't vouch for the other items they sell.

I know the place you speak of; they are a bit on the high side.

Since you don't seem to be adverse to driving, give Olympic Brewing in Bremerton a try. Everything there is dirt cheap and the staff are terrific.

I'll check these places out thanks

It's been about three years since I was in his store personally but Larry at
www.nwbrewers.com is/was a very reasonable LHBS proprietor. He's up in Anacortes but he ships no problem.

I hit Homebrew Heaven in Everett for most things and NW Brewers Supply (in the message above) for my hops. Homebrew Heaven isn't bad for hops, but at NW Brewers I can get exactly what I want. If I want .1 oz of something, he'll measure it out and sell it to me. In pellet hops, at least.

Went to Larry's and it was awesome! But I did go back to the LHBS that I started this thread for. And just like Shawshank I would like to have told you it was better but yeah I was raped again.

LaunchPad McQuack Bitter
Ingredients:
8.0 lb Maris Otter
0.75 lb British Crystal 55°L
.25 lb British Dark Crystal
1.0 tsp Amylase enzyme - added during mash
1.0 lb Candi Sugar Clear
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP002 English Ale

It was estimated to only have costed 33 bucks. Well it came to 56 dollars oh and pick up a small bottle of star san which was 12 dollars. When asked why so expensive i was told "Well you got candi sugar...and there's milling fee etc etc...." I also asked about Briess blackprinz and this is what he said " HA we will not stock fad malts just because someone read an article about it...HAHA".

Larry's was great awesome prices and super cool employees I highly suggest this place.

Went to Larry's and it was awesome! But I did go back to the LHBS that I started this thread for. And just like Shawshank I would like to have told you it was better but yeah I was raped again.

LaunchPad McQuack Bitter
Ingredients:
8.0 lb Maris Otter
0.75 lb British Crystal 55°L
.25 lb British Dark Crystal
1.0 tsp Amylase enzyme - added during mash
1.0 lb Candi Sugar Clear
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP002 English Ale

It was estimated to only have costed 33 bucks. Well it came to 56 dollars oh and pick up a small bottle of star san which was 12 dollars. When asked why so expensive i was told "Well you got candi sugar...and there's milling fee etc etc...." I also asked about Briess blackprinz and this is what he said " HA we will not stock fad malts just because someone read an article about it...HAHA".

Larry's was great awesome prices and super cool employees I highly suggest this place.

NO way that costs $56.
I will add my name to the NW Brewers Supply in Anacortes list. Larry and Trevor are great and when I priced them vs any online prices they were the same or less when you include freight (except hops) so I go there exclusively.
It is very nice to be able to support local.

I would seriously recommend checking out Olympic Brewing Supplies. If you need a larger amount of items like starsan, kegging equipment, etc... why not check out one of the vendors here like Brewmaster's Warehouse?

Is that place homebrew only? The store near El Paso also sells pool and spa supplies so the homebrew section isn't the main part of the store and the prices are outrageous. I hate paying that much extra for ease of shopping.

Is that place homebrew only? The store near El Paso also sells pool and spa supplies so the homebrew section isn't the main part of the store and the prices are outrageous. I hate paying that much extra for ease of shopping.

Homebrew only my good man

:off: Stay safe buddy OEFA is an octagon. There's a village that holds a special dark spot in my heart over there

+1 to Olympic Brewing Supplies in Bremerton. I have had nothing but great experiences. The owner/employees are very knowledgeble and the prices are great. It sounds like its worth the drive it will save you money.

$56!? Jesus Christ what do their extract kits cost? $85???

Milling fee??

$12 Starsan?!

That recipe is about $36 at my LHBS. Starsan is $9.xx..

They don't have kits per se you have to "build" it and therefore costs ALOT more! I talked to another homebrewer about this and he said he asked why they were more expensive and the response was. "Well there's another brew store in Olympia and there's Larry's in Kent you should go there"

They know they're the only game in town and they act like it. If you've ever seen the movie High Fidelity, they're the homebrew store equivalent.

I just stumbled upon this place :http://brewbrothers.biz/

They're 2.5 hours from me, but I think it'd be worth it.

They know they're the only game in town and they act like it. If you've ever seen the movie High Fidelity, they're the homebrew store equivalent.

I just stumbled upon this place :http://brewbrothers.biz/

They're 2.5 hours from me, but I think it'd be worth it.

Dude that is so right on! They've got a Jack Black and a John Cusack in there! Beer snobs man ...:fro:

"....Haha are you serious Torrified wheat?! ...for that recipe..HAHA ...hey come look at this guy.....HAHA no I'm giving you Red Wheat instead trust me I won't let you ruin a beer ...in fact lemme just see that grain bill ...Yeah this is gonna be funky for sure but hey go with it ....HAHAHA....wow!"

Back