Overcarbed my beer by about 20g. Not sure if I should degas, or just throw in fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixmilecross

Reaction score
I bottled my pumpkin ale over the weekend, and used ~105g of sucrose for priming 5 gallons. When everything was bottled and I was cleaning my bucket, I noticed there was way more trub than usual (thanks to the pumpkin pie mix) and I quickly realized that I bottled closer to 4.25 gallons of beer, maybe even 4 gallons. NB's priming sugar calc calls for about 90g of sugar for 4.25 gallons and I don't know if ~20g extra of priming sugar is cause for concern, but wanted to play it safe.

The bottles have sat out overnight and hoping I don't come home to beer all over the floor. I planned on just throwing them in the fridge but was curious if I should degas them to be safe and if so, is it just a matter of lifting the cap a little and resealing?

I bottled my pumpkin ale over the weekend, and used ~105g of sucrose for priming 5 gallons. When everything was bottled and I was cleaning my bucket, I noticed there was way more trub than usual (thanks to the pumpkin pie mix) and I quickly realized that I bottled closer to 4.25 gallons of beer, maybe even 4 gallons. NB's priming sugar calc calls for about 90g of sugar for 4.25 gallons and I don't know if ~20g extra of priming sugar is cause for concern, but wanted to play it safe.

The bottles have sat out overnight and hoping I don't come home to beer all over the floor. I planned on just throwing them in the fridge but was curious if I should degas them to be safe and if so, is it just a matter of lifting the cap a little and resealing?

I plugged some numbers in the Beer Recipator for carbonation. 3.0 volumes of C02 bottled at 70° would require 133 grams of corn sugar for 4.25 gallons.

NBs' calculator indicates you will have about 2.6 volumes of CO2 bottling at 70°. Fairly low carbonation. Nothing to worry about.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. I was having trouble backing into what the current vol would be given 109g sugar and 4-4.25 gallons of beer.

Back