Over pitching roeselare?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JollyIsTheRoger

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, if I were to pitch a whole pack of 3763 Roeselare into a 1 gallon batch could that speed up the fermentation/souring process? I know that over pitching normal sach. can be bad because of the yeast age and lack of reproduction, but I was thinking the higher concentration of bugs will allow them to work faster. I'm hoping for a 6 month sour as opposed to an 18-36 month sour. I realize time helps a lot but with the possibility of me moving in the summer I don't like the idea of moving fermenting/souring wort.

Just pitch some Jolly Pumpkin dregs. It'll sour 1 gallon in a few months.

You will get sourness, but probably not too much complexity or funk in that short amount of time. And I doubt it will be ready to bottle by summer. You can always check the gravity to see if it stabilizes.

Only way you can really do a quick sour would be to pitch just lacto and pedio first and allow them to sour. Then pitch your blend of sacch and brett. So it's possible but going in reverse can create undesirable environments for the yeast. If you have to move in the middle of souring a batch just keg it up.

Latest posts

Back