Over fermentaion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southsidesox

Reaction score
Just made my 1st all grainer IPA. Fermenting for a week, then dry hopping for 2. Dry hopping in the primary. Temp is about 68-72 consistently. Using a Ale Pail for the fermenting. It was bubbling as usual initially. My concern is that there is very little (if any) activity coming from the airlock with about a week to go with the dry hopping.

Should I be concerned with the limited activity?

Just made my 1st all grainer IPA. Fermenting for a week, then dry hopping for 2. Dry hopping in the primary. Temp is about 68-72 consistently. Using a Ale Pail for the fermenting. It was bubbling as usual initially. My concern is that there is very little (if any) activity coming from the airlock with about a week to go with the dry hopping.

Should I be concerned with the limited activity?

Are you using a hydrometer to indicate fermentation is complete? Two readings, a day apart that read the same indicates it is beer.

Dry hopping is after that initial fermentation. So, when the period you want to dry hop is up, it is ready. Airlock activity means nothing. Ever.

My SG was 1.030. Took a reading earlier today and it was 1.00. Smelled great. Gave it a taste and it was on the bitter side and light in color.

I'll take another reading tomorrow and see if it changes any.

Thanks!

What was you're Original Gravity? This crucial information.

Now your gravity is at 1.00? That's pretty impressive attenuation no matter what your OG was, I dont think your gonna get much lower than that!

That's simply not true.

No its means its bubbling...

It could mean its bubbling because of fermentation, or CO2 in solution being released, or pressure differences...

So it means you could be fermenting, or you could be bubbling.

No its means its bubbling...

It could mean its bubbling because of fermentation, or CO2 in solution being released, or pressure differences...

So it means you could be fermenting, or you could be bubbling.

OK, thanks for proving my point. In the normal case, within the first week after pitching, bubbling is a good indication of fermentation. It is true, however, that other things could cause bubbling.

EDIT: Obviously a leaky bucket could also prevent the airlock from bubbling.

Couple of questions.
Have you calibrated your hydrometer? It's not unusual for them to be a few points off, but an OG of 1.030 and a FG of 1.000 look very low to me.
Did you top off the wort with water before you took the OG reading? If so, and the top off water and wort were not thoroughly mixed, that could easily explain the low OG.
OK 3 questions, not just a couple.
Can you post the recipe?

-a.

I'm guessing with my initial reading it's going to be more of a Pale Ale than an IPA.

I wonder what happened?

The difference between a Pale Ale and an IPA has more to do with the hopping rather than OG. IPA's have a lot higher IBU level.

As to what happened to give you the low OG you will need to post your recipe and brewing procedure. Temperature and times also.

I have not had my hydrometer calibrated.

I did take the reading after I topped off so there's a good chance that caused the flub. Guess I wasn't thinking too clearly and was over excited.

I will post the recipe once I get back from my beercation of brewpubs in AZ.

Thanks again all for the convo.

A little hiatus due to my computer crashing and getting a new one. The recipe went right along with the computer crash. Will have to back it up next time.

Beer turned out great, but after the 4th week of being in the bottle, it tastes much different than it initially did. Lost hop aroma and is a bit bitter.

Thanks again for the info!

A current gravity of 1.000 feels off to me, even with great attenuation it should still be somewhat denser than water. Are you sure your reading it right?

A current gravity of 1.000 feels off to me, even with great attenuation it should still be somewhat denser than water. Are you sure your reading it right?

Yeah, that doesnt seem correct. I would take a reading of DI water and make see just how accurate that thing is. And, just out of curiousity, you are getting your reading at the bottom of the meniscus, correct?

Back