Over-carbonated bottles question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattv21

Reaction score
I over-carb’d a batch of Oktoberfest that has been in bottles just under 2 months. Not so much that the bottles just gush all over when you open them, but enough that you have to pour it out painstakingly carefully to not overflow the glass. I had read somewhere that I can sanitize some more caps, remove the old, and recap them to relieve the carbonation somewhat. Has anybody tried this, and is it indeed a good idea? Or is the risk of A.) infecting the beer, or B.) letting too much carbonation out and ending up with under-carb’d beer not worth it? Thinking about taking 3-4 bottles and making a little experiment of it before trying it with the whole batch. Thoughts?

i wouldnt do it. It will slightly oxidize the beer (at least) and probably lead to undercarbed beers after a week or so

i dont see the harm in tryint with a few though

You can recap, with the same cap. Lay a quarter on top of the cap, lift one edge until you hear some CO2 escape, reseal the cap immediately.

The quarter on top of the cap will prevent creasing the cap. I was successful doing it this way. Have the bottles very well chilled. May need to release pressure a couple of times.

Leaving the cap edge raised until you see foam rising results in oxidized beer. I was unsuccessful doing it this way.

You can recap, with the same cap. Lay a quarter on top of the cap, lift one edge until you hear some CO2 escape, reseal the cap immediately.

The quarter on top of the cap will prevent creasing the cap. I was successful doing it this way. Have the bottles very well chilled. May need to release pressure a couple of times.

Leaving the cap edge raised until you see foam rising results in oxidized beer. I was unsuccessful doing it this way.
This seems like a safer/smarter method for sure. Will definitely try it on a couple bottles and see how it goes. Thanks!

Back