Over carbing on serving pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatchezBrew

Reaction score
I have had this happen to my last two kegs. To carb I set the pressure at 30psi for 36 hours. I then purge the head space with a few quick pulls of the relief valve on the sanke coupler. I normally disconnect to drink later. After hooking the keg back up carb is perfect after 3 days at serving pressure 5 psi it has become metallic. What am I doing wrong?

If not in a hurry, just use the set-and-forget method. Set head pressure to 10-14psi@ 38F and leave it for a week. It should be carbed to 2.38-2.75 vol. This will be same pressure applied all the time, till the keg is empty.

That's what I'm going to do next but any idea why it's over carbing? I thought the keezer temp of 34 might be the cause, colder temp causing more CO2 to dissolve.

There was another thread here about metallic taste and overcarbing... Can't remember the outcome but might want to see if you can find it. I just set and leave at 11 psi... It shouldn't overcarb with that method.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Back