Outdoor Kitchen Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbeauxn

Reaction score
I am installing an outdoor kitchen under my patio cover. I currently have a 3 tap Keezer that I will be off loading and as I am beginning my research in regards to whether I want to go with a commercial Kegerator or go with a Kegerator build.

My dilemma:
• I am installing under counter. Is it a must do go with an under the counter model or if I vent properly out the back can I use standalone unit?
• The price point between under the counter and standalone models is significant. I would really like to save the money if I could but don’t want to make a decision that will ultimately lead me to buying the under the counter model in the long run.
• How important is it to go with a model that has “Tower Cooling”? I live in Houston Texas so yes our summers are hot and very humid. I anticipate lots of tower sweating.

Anything else I need to consider that I may not have thought of at this point.

I can't comment with authority on undercounter vs normal, but I believe you should be fine with adequate venting. If you go that route I'd suggest a high and low vent to get good airflow.

I can state that tap cooling is essential even in my basement setup which isn't anywhere near as extreme as outside in Houston. You probably want to insulate your tower and through counter connection too. Otherwise you'll get plenty of foamy pours.

Thanks Jackyl, venting high and low is a great idea. I definitely will be insulating through the counter connection. As this will be my first stab at this, do you have recommendations on specific type/material or best practices in the insulation process.

I think the difference is how the unit brings in air and how the unit discharges air. Under counter units have supply and return venting on the front of the unit. You may want to look at where the compressor is and how the air flows. You may have a hard time keeping the unit cold if the compressor vents or draws air into the cabinet. You'll really need good air flow to manage Texas heat and humidity.

+1 on the need for good air flow. I live in Houston and have trouble in the summer with my garage based ferm and conditioning refrigerators holding their temps without blowing air across the condenser coils. I would suggest a strong fan to move fresh air in and out of the cabinet, you could look at fans used in AV equipment cabinets.

You are certainly going to have a lot of trouble with the tower. Insulation in the tower is a start, may need to build an insulating box to cover while not in use (this will also keep the flies out of your taps). My bet is you will end up investing in some kind of active cooling for the tower.

As great as it sounds this will be be a constant battle with the temp extremes we experience in Houston. Have you considered a kegerator on wheels that you simply roll outside when you want to use it? My Edgestar came with heavy duty wheels though I have never used them.

I've thought about doing a similar situation in an outdoor kitchen. I worry about corrosion from humidity wrecking all my expensive fridge parts. I'm sure a commercial option is available though to address this.

I have an outdoor keezer built from a chest freezer. 4 horiz taps coming out of a collar. It's on my back covered patio. I don't think you can get more humid and hot than where I am.

The taps do sweat a little in the summer when the humidity is up. I've done a Kill-a-Watt test and it draws insignificant power. I think I calculated $2 per month. I probably need to do that test again now that I'm running a fan inside.

Mine is not enclosed. I would like to do that too, so I'm watching this thread carefully. I had plans to build around it, but I'm probably going to build my outdoor kitchen up to it since the bar counters will be almost the same height. I might put a hinged counter over the keezer, but definitely not going with a tower because I know I'll hate first pour foaming issues.

BTW, I bought this freezer new, but before I put it into service I sanded the gloss off, primed and painted with rustoleum black (hide the dirt). This one has been out there for at least 4 or 5 years, no rust, no problem at all.

I'm getting ready to build one out of a chest freezer and I'm going with a tower. I have a regular fridge on my patio with 3 taps and I have had some issues with sweaty taps during the summer and my patio hits 100 degrees most afternoons. It's been out there 4 years and no other issues. On the new one I really want the tower and plan to insulate it really well and add a fan to keep the lines cool. Hopefully that works. I'm also building a box around it out of wood and metal roofing to match my tikibar but I'm leaving a gap around it and the rear will be open. I think it will be just fine.

Speaking with some fellow home brewers and heeding some advice from this thread, I think am am going to bite the bullet and spend the money on the under the counter model. I think the venting of the cabinet will work and I am putting a fridge in as well so I plan on doing that regardless. But the need for tower cooling is pushing me to spend a the necessary money. I am looking at an Edgestar that seems to have what I will want and need and seems to be the best value. I know there are better ones out there but they are pretty pricey.

I currently have a three tap home built keezer that has been in my garage for the first three years and on my patio for the last year. It works awesome, just don't have room for it in the new bar and will be unnecessary when I add kegerator. the collar used to sweat so I insulated with sheet styrofoam. It works great. The taps still sweat, but its not horrible. I use Faucet Dust Caps to keep the flies/bugs at bay. I am considering a tower cover, anyone use this? Have an opinion?

Kegertor:
Edgestar.

Tower Cover:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQT3KXR/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back