Outdoor Brewing Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
I am an outdoor brewer - in the Rocky Mountains. Brewing in the winter is rough! Or in the spring in the rain. Or in the late summer in the baking sun. I have really researched moving into my garage with natural gas/electric, but it really isn't realistic for me. So this spring, my dream is to pimp my patio in my back yard. I have about a 12x12 cement pad right now off of the house, close to water and outlets, but I'm thinking of adding onto it and getting some kind of covered area. Anyone have a good outdoor setup? I'd love to see some pics for inspiration!

Now, I live on the southwest corner of downtown Chicago, with all the space limitations that come with that. But, I have the good fortune of being a member of a homebrew club that has its own brewhouse, with four brew bays, Blichmann burners, a temp controlled walk-in fermentation area, etc. But before moving, we lived out in the burbs and had a lot of outdoor space. I moved back and forth between brewing in the garage and brewing on the back patio, a concrete slab like you mentioned.

If I had to brew outside there all the time, not just occasionally, it would have been tough. Cold and windy. And sometimes just windy, even when its hot, can make your brew day a hassle. I would seriously consider building some kind of enclosure, a shed. Then English have a tradition of building what they call 'sheds', which are usually very small and one side opens up completely to the outdoors, if you want.

Good luck. Out of curiousity, why is the garage off limits for you?

Pappers - yes a shed would be awesome! But possibly a little spendier than a covered patio area. I have brewed in the garage with an old 6" high pressure burner. Did not crack a window either. Since then I've upgraded to 2 bg12 burners and have gotten a little nervous about CO. And my garage is a mess. I really want to get a long term space setup just for brewing.

EDIT - Oh if you're asking why I said moving into the garage isn't realistic for me - I can't put natural gas where I wanted because it's not up to code, and electric brewing, I don't know. I've looked into it a ton, there seem to be many positives and negatives.

I've been brewing in one of those 10x20 car ports with sides for a few years now and that's sufficed for me. It can get a bit steamy in there when it's warm but keeping a side or two open vents it out well. On the cold end, I've only brewed in there once while around 20F and it was chilly, but bearable. Careful with the snow though, they'll collapse on you I've you don't tend it during dumps...

I brew on my back patio in the winter and a shaded side patio in summer. In winter, I have been lucky so far to have nice brew days available most weekends that I was able to brew. If I brew in the spring I will have more than enough beer in the supply line to take me through the summer months so for me, timing is everything when it comes to outdoor brewing, if the weather cooperates and you can brew on your sched then you don't really need anything else. I had considered an indoor electric brewery but enjoy being outside when I brew, even in the cold, too much to go that route, at least for now.

This is my setup. I do however have the luxury of brewing 12 months a year at 68-70F - 87-94F. I installed a roof on my back patio last year. It was well worth the cost, especially during monsoon season. I also insulated the roof (1/2" reflective) which has cut down the heat significantly.

I usually wait to brew after dark as the flies bother me when I am brewing in the daytime (attracted by the water and sugar).

I still have to work a good cabinet system to clean up the clutter.

IMG_4425.jpg

I will never complain about brewing in my 48' x 36' pole barn/garage again... I live in Oregon and the temps during the winter are... well they're just mild compared to brewing outdoors where you guys live!

I use a kerosene heater to keep me warm, but sometimes I wish the concrete had radiant heat. I do have one of those thick rubber mats used in horse stalls to stand on and I think that helps a bunch!

It's a lot of standing around during a brew day! I've found a good quality jump rope helps fight off the boredom AND helps keep me warm too! LOL

This is my setup. I do however have the luxury of brewing 12 months a year at 68-70F - 87-94F. I installed a roof on my back patio last year. It was well worth the cost, especially during monsoon season. I also insulated the roof (1/2" reflective) which has cut down the heat significantly.

I usually wait to brew after dark as the flies bother me when I am brewing in the daytime (attracted by the water and sugar).

I still have to work a good cabinet system to clean up the clutter.

Sweet space!

Would a simple/cheap EZ up canopy help solve the sun/rain? I am thinking about doing this since this summer I plan to brew out on my back patio quite a bit. We have zero trees so it bakes you in the summer, it always seems windy, so that messes with the flame. An EZ up might be a great solution.

I was thinking about putting my EZ-UP into service also. I see no downside, aside from it beong an extra thing to set up/take down on brew day.

I was thinking about putting my EZ-UP into service also. I see no downside, aside from it beong an extra thing to set up/take down on brew day.
That's just part of brewing outside. I view it about the same hassle of tailgating. I want to move all my brewing to the basement this time of year, but every spring/summer/fall I enjoy being outside brewing, talking to neighbors, playing with dogs, grill/smoke, etc. Plus it means I am fairly mobile and can brew almost anywhere.

That's my line of thought too. SWMBO in law thinks I'm a crazy alcoholic moonshiner, despite my lovely wife's insistence that I'm in this for the process, not the result. Maybe a brew day at her place will change her mind. Get some burger and slip n slide action going for the kiddos, get a beer going for dad in law to take care of. win/win.

If you, like me, rarely have a consistent second on brew day do yourself a favor and install female 1/4" drop-in anchors for the 4 corners. Two reasons:

You live in Texas so it gets windy.

Setting up solo is easier if you can tie-in one corner, expand the tent, tie in the other three, raise one corner at a time. Without this, it normally takes a minimum of two folks.

I would also get either a wall kit or a couple of tarps big enough for two sides plus enough clamps to hold them in place.

When not in use, get some shorty 1/4" flathead machine screws to screw into the anchors to keep them clean and threads from rusting too bad.

Final thought, consider making a collapsible brewery box on large casters. The front "door" can fold upward to become your shade. It is cool DIY. project and I will try to find pictures online of a portable kitchen I have used with this concept.

Edit: not the same thing but this is what I grew up with...from these plans not less.

http://teardropplans.blogspot.com/2011/01/folding-camp-kitchen.html

Saw 47 states and never the inside of a hotel/motel before I was 16 using this, the family wagon and a canvas cabin tent.

I will never complain about brewing in my 48' x 36' pole barn/garage again... I live in Oregon and the temps during the winter are... well they're just mild compared to brewing outdoors where you guys live!

I use a kerosene heater to keep me warm, but sometimes I wish the concrete had radiant heat. I do have one of those thick rubber mats used in horse stalls to stand on and I think that helps a bunch!

It's a lot of standing around during a brew day! I've found a good quality jump rope helps fight off the boredom AND helps keep me warm too! LOL

I'm sure we've never met JLeuck64, but I live just up the road in Colton. Maybe we should get together some time for a brewday?

Oh - per original post. I've been brewing outdoors on the edge of my garage for years (all electric). Ok most months, but lousy on a cold rainy day. Got tired of it, and decided to build a fully enclosed bar/gameroom/brewery under a covered porch. Can't wait!
P

I'm a solo EzUp pro.

A brew cart is as easy as telling my dad I want a brew cart. He's already sketching up a brew stand/table for me, since my scavenged old media cabinet is about 5" too short to hold a carboy with an airlock on it.

Ez up would be nice, what do they cost?. I would like something like that but more of a wood pergola with some kind of tin roof. Costco has some ready made ones too

Ez up would be nice, what do they cost?. I would like something like that but more of a wood pergola with some kind of tin roof. Costco has some ready made ones too

Really cheap ones, just over $100 for a 10' x 10'. Really good ones, about $300. Really good ones used a couple of times, sat in the garage/basement for years then listed on Craigslist...also about $100.

I think I have a few ideas for you - maybe you do em - maybe you don't but:

Make sure you have a drain in that concrete patio - you will need it.

I would also look at these types of shades for the summer and put them up with carabiners so you can take it down when the wind comes up or the snow comes down. I have one of these that I use in the summer months: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A2LSNM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Put hot and cold water bibs close to your brew area so you can clean everything outside. Obviously keep the shutoffs inside the house and use frost free bibs to keep them from freezing in the winter.

If you do put up the hose bibs outside - I would put in a hot water heater after the carbon filter and now you have insta-mash temps.

If you are going the whole tamale - then put a heater or hot/cold water tube in the concrete to keep yourself warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I mean this gets expensive but hey - if we are dreaming right?

Oh - and build a pizza oven too so you can eat while you brew - lol - :D

3-4-2015 12-45-50 AM.jpg

3-4-2015 12-47-19 AM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have a few ideas for you - maybe you do em - maybe you don't but:

Make sure you have a drain in that concrete patio - you will need it.

I would also look at these types of shades for the summer and put them up with carabiners so you can take it down when the wind comes up or the snow comes down. I have one of these that I use in the summer months: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A2LSNM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Put hot and cold water bibs close to your brew area so you can clean everything outside. Obviously keep the shutoffs inside the house and use frost free bibs to keep them from freezing in the winter.

If you do put up the hose bibs outside - I would put in a hot water heater after the carbon filter and now you have insta-mash temps.

If you are going the whole tamale - then put a heater or hot/cold water tube in the concrete to keep yourself warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I mean this gets expensive but hey - if we are dreaming right?

Oh - and build a pizza oven too so you can eat while you brew - lol - :D

Awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back