Out of ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stalewater

Reaction score
I have a ton of two row and marris otter malt with a grab bag of hops, i was thinking of a single malt barley wine or something like that never tried it but open to ideas. I 've got galena,cascade,fuggle,columbus,liberty,challenger,and some mt hood. Also have a ton of yeast. Looked through some old threads but nothing really caught my eye any help would be apreciated.

you could try and self modify the malt several ways for a psuedo single malt experiment. You could smoke some, toast some and use some as a base malt, hop conservatively to allow the malt flavor to stay prominent. might be an interesting experiment.

Ive got a huge yeast bank phleank47, 1056, london ale, 1388, londonale III, Kolch, 3068,pacman,1272, just to name a few, I like the idea of smoking some malts i have always wanted to try that, any suggestions.

Ive got a huge yeast bank phleank47, 1056, london ale, 1388, londonale III, Kolch, 3068,pacman,1272, just to name a few, I like the idea of smoking some malts i have always wanted to try that, any suggestions.

cherrywood smoked malts seem to be pretty common, though I suppose you could use any number of woods. I have just been kicking the idea of smoking some malt myself around lately. i think I saw a thread on here about a guy who does some home malt smoking, but i dont recall where.

So,what you gonna do?

I found a historic ipa reciepe on northern brewers website from town hall i thik it was 1800, it calls for 13 pounds of werminsters floor malted maris otter, all i have is crisp do you think that would work? Brewing tv also had a episode where Dawson did a barley wine with nothing but two row, i think I'm gonna do both but still cant decide.

Crisp's isn't floor malted, AFAIK, but the flavor shouldn't be that different. It'll work fine.

This is the second time in as many days I've been inspired to think about historical IPA. I'm being told something. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Sorry new to the site but what does AFAIK mean? The ibus on the town hall 1800 are off the chart. I think I'm gonna do it still

As Far As I Know. ;)

Yeah, the IBU is going to be massive. However, if you think about it, historically hops were very probably much lower-alpha than we get these days, and stored in much less-than-optimal conditions. Plus, as the NB site notes, historical recipes don't tell you when to add the hops; they just give quantities. Adding to the confusion, if multiple gyles were going to be run off the main mash, the hops listed may have been added at different times for different gyles! So you need to approach historical brewing with many different grains of salt; many of one's initial assumptions may prove false. ;)

Bob

Good info, if you can think about it let me know if or when you decide to brew one and we can exchange beer and or receipes.

Back