Original gravity too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluphil52

Reaction score
I did a 27 litre 5.9 imperial gallon. BIAB today.
Recipe American IPA. With 6kg grain.
I followed recipe for mash time and temp. But i got 10.48 original gravity.
I was needing 10.60.
Any thoughts on what's got wrong?
I was thinking my bag/kit is too small for 6kg of grain maybe?

Do you do a lot of BIAB? While you can get decent efficiency with BIAB, unless you take some steps to boost your efficiency (like a finer crush), it'll be lower than "normal". As you mentioned, it is possible that your bag was too small for the 6kg of grains and it was packed in too tight, which I believe would hurt your efficiency as well.

Do you know what, when I put it in I thought it was to cramped- and after the 1 hour mash it just didn't look like it had done it's job.
It was my fourth effort- I think my limits are 5kg :(

Hey, don't beat yourself up. This is how you learn the limits and capabilities of your system. It's also how you get motivated to build your own mash tun. That's how it worked for me, at any rate. I did one BIAB batch, then went out looking for coolers. I still do occasional BIAB / extract batches, but doing AG BIAB is more hassle than I want. But I know others do it that way, so suit yourself.

Cheers,

It could be an efficiency issue, grain crush not fine enough, or any assortment of other problems. If you're new to biab then keep at it and dial in your system to work out all the kinks. That og is a little lower than what you expected, but the beer should turn out fine.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back