Orange peel & Coriander in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhman

Reaction score
First post, been on here reading past threads and learning for a while now so I want to say thank you to all who have helped me already without knowing it.

Brewed my first batch 11/8 and its been fermenting since. Over the weekend I started worrying that I may have ruined my first batch by adding the hop bag with dried orange peel and coriander inside directly to my primary fermenting bucket? The directions were unclear so after being in the wort, i just transferred everything to my Ale Pale after cooling. I've been reading past threads and it doesn't seem like anyone intentionally adds this stuff to the primary, do I pull it out or leave it in?

Can you clarify? Did you add the bag to the boil and then transfer it to your primary bucket? Or did you just add it straight to the primary bucket? And welcome to the fourms :mug:!

Typically you add it to the boil so the orange and coriander flavors infuse into the beer. Adding it just to the fermenter, you will get little flavor but lots of aroma from the spice and orange.

Don't panic, it still will be a drinkable, and probably good beer, just not necessarily what you hoped to achieve.

Yes I added the first bag with just orange peel to the boil with 15 mins left, then the second bag with orange peel and coriander to the boil with 5 mins left. I cooled and dumped the whole thing into the primary. Sealed it up and let it sit for the past week.

Yes I added the first bag with just orange peel to the boil with 15 mins left, then the second bag with orange peel and coriander to the boil with 5 mins left. I cooled and dumped the whole thing into the primary. Sealed it up and let it sit for the past week.

Then you are fine...You treated it like hops pretty much. You should have both flavor and aroma then.

:mug:

Nice. Thanks for the help, my mind started to panic last night about the taste being to strong or the orange peels getting moldy, or any other number of problems from leaving the bags in there.

You recommend leaving everything the way it is for the next week before bottling then?

Nice. Thanks for the help, my mind started to panic last night about the taste being to strong or the orange peels getting moldy, or any other number of problems from leaving the bags in there.

You recommend leaving everything the way it is for the next week before bottling then?

Yes...don't mess with anything.

Back