Orange Creamsicle Milkshake IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarboyT1985

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of out there but wanted to get some fresh takes on adding Lactose, Vanilla Bean and Orange Peel. I've already brewed a 2.5 gallon batch and it is fermenting now.

I forgot to add the lactose in the last 5/10 mins of the boil so i'm wondering if anyone has had success boiling and adding at kegging or adding to the secondary during fermentation?

I've got 1 vanilla bean that I am planning on adding 7-10 days prior to kegging. Last time, i chopped it up because i've gotten mixed results when scraping. Does anyone had a tried & true method for adding vanilla beans into a Milkshake IPA? A lot of the threads out there talk about adding beans to stouts via tincture.

Lastly, I had previously thought to add the orange peel like a dry hop. I was going to get 2 standard Valencia oranges and add the peel along with my dry hops when i am 7 days out from kegging. Is this a good method? A lot of what I am reading says to add the peel with 5-15 mins left in the boil but I'm past that point so I'm looking for a good plan B.

Below is the recipe that i'm hoping comes out nice. I appreciate any feedback. Cheers!

5lbs Pils Barke
2lbs Flaked Oats

Hops used at 30 min, 5 min, Flameout, Whirlpool & will be added at fermentation, 2 weeks before kegging and 1 week before kegging.
Azacca
Amarillo
El Dorado hops

S-04 Yeast

i'm wondering if anyone has had success boiling and adding at kegging or adding to the secondary during fermentation?
Yes, you can add lactose at any time.
Does anyone had a tried & true method for adding vanilla beans
Use some scissors to cut the bean into tiny pieces, like 1/8".
Put in a jar.
Cover with the spirit of your choice (vodka, bourbon, etc).
Put it on a stir plate just fast enough to keep everything moving.
Add the liquid when packaging.

A lot of what I am reading says to add the peel with 5-15 mins left in the boil but I'm past that point so I'm looking for a good plan B.
Easy, boil them in some water and add it when packaging.

Cheers

Back