Orange Chocolate Stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptnthompson

Reaction score
Hey, Does anyone have a good Orange Chocolate Stout AG recipe to share? I'm looking to brew a good Christmas time beer!

three sheets did a show where the tender mixed a strong dry stout with Kahlua and Gran Marnier for exactoly the same effect with some added kick.

I usually start with Denny's bourbon porter recipe and then add the choc and the orange peel.

This is a chocolate-orange porter recipe that I came up with after combining two others I found online. Any thoughts on improving it. Too much orange or chocolate? Should I use the lactose and brown sugar or leave it out? Also not sure if the chocolate is necessary in the boil but one of the recipes I used called for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chocolate-Orange Porter Recipe:

6 lbs Dark DME
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Caramel 40 Malt
2 lb Munich Malt
.5 lb Black Patent Malt
.5 lb Caramel 60 Malt

2 oz. Kent Golding Hops
1 oz. Fuggle Hops

WLP001 California Ale yeast

Schedule:

2 oz. Cocoa 60 minutes
1.5 oz Kent Golding Hops 60 minutes
2 oz. Cocoa 30 minutes
.5 oz Fuggle Hops 15 minutes
.5 oz Kent Golding Hops 0 minutes
.5 oz Fuggle Hops 0 minutes
4 oz Cocoa 0 minutes
4 oz Lactose 0 minutes
8 oz brown Sugar 0 minutes

Primary:

4 oz cocoa
Zest of 2 oranges

Secondary:

4 oz cocoa
5 oz. cold strong coffee
Zest of 3 oranges soaked in triple sec 1 week
3 TBS Vanilla Extract

Brewed this in early October, but cut back to half of the original cocoa in the recipe. After 3 weeks in primary I tasted and it was too dry. Added lactose and a mix of white and brown sugar to increase sweetness as well as the ABV. However, after several days in secondary there is very very little action in the airlock and I've seen little to no change in hydrometer readings. I really need a good amount of the sugar I added to ferment out because I made it much too sweet to be drinkable at this point because I was hoping the excess sugar would increase my final ABV. Any ideas as to why fermentation in secondary is so slow (almost non-existent) or suggestions as to how to get the fermentation rolling again?

Back