Orange and Ginger to primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robaincltnc

Reaction score
Can I add ginger and orange peel to my wheat beer secondary. I've been thinking about a watermelon wheat but am now considering doing an orange ginger thing. The wheat beer is in its first day in the primary. OG is 1.044 so will probably be about a 4% beer I think. Thanks!

Yeah, you could add it to primary or secondary (your subject says one and the post says the other). If it has just started fermenting, I would probably wait until secondary, but that's just me.

You can add it to either. If you add it to primary, you should definitely wait until fermentation is complete before adding anything. I dry hop in primary all the time with excellent results which is essentially the same thing, or very close.
I feel there is no point to secondary unless you're doing some extended aging where racking off the yeast is beneficial: if clarity is a concern, the beer will clear itself in the bottle or after cold crashing.

Back