Opinions on best lauter tun for GF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGGF_Brewing

Reaction score
Hey all, so I'm curious what everyone thinks is the best lauter tun set up for GF sparging.

False bottom vs bazooka tube vs cooper tubing, etc.

Depends on how fine you grind. I've heard from an inside source that a large brewery successfully used millet malt on their regular pilot system, milled to .7 mm, and did not require any rice hulls for the sparge. I'm about to upgrade my setup to a proper MLT with a false bottom, but it probably won't be for a while. I should think that any of the options you listed would work well enough, provided you get the finest screens you can get.

Was it *cough* New Belgium *cough*? .7mm is too large a setting. That is why they had no lautering problems.

Honestly, I believe a good false bottom is the best approach. I am thinking that a low and wide mash tun might be best. As homebrewers we don't really have that option with a false bottom. You can do a custom tun but, most people do boil kettle/keggle with a false bottom or a low wide cooler with copper manifold.

I used to line my mash tun (10 gal water cooler) with a voile cloth bag to prevent a stuck sparge. I have since upgraded to a keggle and Jay bird false bottom. Bag won't fit. I don't have lautering problems until I mill down to .006". Also, the Jay bird false bottom is great! Solid product.

Back