Open/ Spontaneous Fermentation in the Basement

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

CatsCradle

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2020
Messages
51
Reaction score
1
Hi Everyone. Im fairly new to brewing and fermenting. I accidentally left a half opened gallon of motts apple juice in the basement and have discovered that it is now fermenting. I transferred it to a 1 gallon carboy and left the top off to see what will happen. My question is twofold. First is the basement a good area for spontaneous fermentation? or will only bacteria rather than wild yeast populate the juice. And second is spontaneous fermentation in the basement dangerous i.e is this dangerous for consumption 😂? Forgive my naivity but couldnt harmful bacteria/ mold make one quite sick?
 

monkeymath

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2019
Messages
258
Reaction score
217
How long did it take for fermentation to start?

Before you taste anything
- how does it look? If there's mold, don't drink it!
- how does it smell? A revolting smell could be an indication you don't want to dink it.
- is it at least slightly alcoholic? Enough alcohol (>2%, I think) produced in a timely manner can act as a safeguard (-> take a gravity measurement).
- Lower pH can similarly act as a safeguard, so if possible, measure the pH.

Either way, you probably don't want to drink too much of it. If the aroma is pleasant, you can use some of the liquid to make a starter (where the yeasts will get a headstart).
 
Joined
Sep 12, 2019
Messages
107
Reaction score
68
Location
Appalachia
If you ferment a lot of stuff (beer, wine, cider, mead) in your basement, it is fairly likely that you have inoculated that area with good yeast over the years.
 

Birrofilo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2021
Messages
547
Reaction score
283
Location
Rome
No fermentation is dangerous for consumption in small doses, you can always taste and evaluate. If the perfume is good, drink "moderately", because you never know. If the aroma is not good and/or the flavour is not good, give it to the carnations.

A pellicle on top of the brewage is not a sign of a bad mold, it's a SCOBY and you should taste in any case IMHO.
 
Top