Only 1 package of S-23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhistlerBrew

Reaction score
Hey all,

I currently have what I had hoped would be a lager boiling away. I just took my Saflager S-23 out of the fridge and realized that it suggests 2 packets for a 5 gallon batch. Whoops. Here's the other yeast I currently have on hand:

Nottingham (1x11g)
Safale US-05 (1x11.5g)
Safbrew S-33 (2x11.5g)

I live too far from my LBHS to get any more S-23, so I'm wondering what to do. Ferment at a higher temp with 1 packet? Use the US-05 or Notty instead? Or would it be reasonable to pitch the S-23 I have now, then pitch another in a few days when I've purchased it? This is just Pilsner malt and a few ounces of Saaz. Looking for a crisper, less ester-y beer for late summer.

Suggestions?

I'd rehydrate the pack and ferment around 60° as a compromise. Should still give you some lager character without too much ester development.

I used a single S-23 packet at lager temps (48f or so) once, pitched at maybe 60f or so as it was cooling, just rehydrated is all. It worked, but took maybe 3 days to show any signs or starting, and it wound up with some fruity characteristics, or sweet'ish maybe.

It was tasty, but wasn't like clean clean.

Latest posts

Back