? one step cider. does it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBrewster

Reaction score
I was told that I could stick this glass one gal. pasteurized cider jug from Whole Foods in the closet, and produce a drinkable cider.

Does this work? :drunk: Is it worth it? How long should I wait?

What should I do instead to make it better?

Well, it has been pasteurized, so it has no yeast to do the work.
You will need to do the following:
1. Find some suitable wine yeast. Cote de Blanc or Pasteur Champagne works well. Try to avoid using bread yeast.
2. Take the lid off and replace it with a balloon. Put a pin-hole in the balloon (this is so your bottle doesn't explode).
3. Ferment it where the temperature stays around 55-65 F. Let it sit until it is fairly clear, and the junk has settled to the bottom of the bottle.
4. Add sugar or nutri-sweet if it tastes too dry for you.
5. This should result to something closer to wine than pruno.

I was told that I could stick this glass one gal. pasteurized cider jug from Whole Foods in the closet, and produce a drinkable cider. Does this work?

It works if you like to drink hooch, otherwise its a bit more work but not a whole lot. I recommend you read the stickies first. Use a proper airlock. Dont use wine or champagne yeast unless you want it really dry. Use ale or wheat yeast

You need to add yeast. Apple juice will ferment completely (AKA dry) unless you work at it, so a wine yeast is a good bet.

If you want to do something like this I would suggest making a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein. Here is a link to the recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/

This is very easy to make and is really good. Thousands of gallons of this has been made since it was posted to this forum. Do a search and see what people say about it. To me it tastes more like a dry white wine than a cider.

I frequently make a cider from store bought pasteurized, preservative-free grocery store apple juice. I dump the juice into a carboy and pitch an ale yeast. After terminal gravity is reached I keg or bottle condition it. This makes an apx 4.5% abv light dry sparkling cider with a nice tartness.

One of my batches made like this actually won 2nd place in the Cider category of a competition this year. Easy as pie.

Back