One of my thermometers is LYING TO ME!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rph33

Reaction score
I'm doing my first real partial mash using Deathbrewer's method, and I have 2 different cheap thermometers which I am using to monitor mash temperature.

One is a standard floating dairy thermometer, and the other is a digital thermometer with a metal probe. The dairy therm. is reading consistently 5-7 degrees cooler than the digital, and the digital changes temperature readings depending on WHERE i stick it in the mash.

Right now my dairy reads about 149 degrees, and the digital reads anywhere between 153 and 158.

Is my mash okay?! lol.

thanks, oh and any FAST REPLIES would be loooovvveelyyy :)

Gotta use icewater and boiling water to find out who's telling the truth. Mash temps can also be tricky since it is really tough to get the mash to be a completely uniform temp.

Alright, I'll calibrate for the next brew, but for now I'm just averaging the two and stirring frequently, doing LOTS of heat adjustment to keep this mash in a 150-155 degree range according to both therms, and I'll just cross my fingers and hope for some sort of decent efficiency! :)

Thanks!

Back