One Last Look at a RIMS in a BOX Wiring Diagram

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terodox

Reaction score
Hello Again,

I'm finally at the point of wiring together my RIMS + Pump in a box. I wanted to get one last opinion on this wiring diagram before I put it into action. Things to note:

- All switches are rated to 20 amp
- Element is a 6000W 240v running on 120v
- SSR is 20 amp
- Pump draws ~ 2 amp under load

Any feedback would be wonderful, even if it's to say "that looks fine".

Thanks in advance!

Wiring Diagram.png

One thing to consider would be adding is a GFCI internally placed between your power plug and your main switch.

This would just offer another level of protection if you plugged it into a power source that did not already have a GFCI on it.

I like the way you incorporated an interlock so the heater won't operate unless the pump is running. Could save you a popped element at some point, assuming your pump is always primed.

You could probably omit the heating element manual switch. I'm not sure that you will really have occasion to use it much. Are you ever planning to use the pump for any purpose other than recirculating through your heater?

Yeah, I'm planning to use it for a plate chiller as well. Eventually may even be incorporated into a two tier build, but we'll see how this build goes first.

Thanks for the gfci advice!

I can see the confusion from my diagram, no colors makes it all screwy. I understand what you're saying about the ssr. Hot in, hot out on the switching side.

What program do you use for wiring diagrams?

What's the benefit of the dpst over the spst inline? I just figured it gave me a distinct separation of each circuit by switch. Thoughts?

It is a little confusing to see a mechanical relay symbol used with an SSR label on it.

If you are in-fact using an SSR to switch your element, it is wired properly.

Technically, your power plug conductors should be labeled L1 (Hot) and Neutral instead of + and -.

+ and - designates DC circuit polarity, and you are working with 120 VAC.

I am a novice when it comes to proper notation for sure. I kinda went with what I could find instead of hand writing everything. I will take note of that fir future diagrams though.

What program do you use for diagrams?

I am a novice when it comes to proper notation for sure. I kinda went with what I could find instead of hand writing everything. I will take note of that fir future diagrams though.

What program do you use for diagrams?

images

:)

"What's the benefit of the dpst over the spst inline? I just figured it gave me a distinct separation of each circuit by switch. Thoughts?"

For your RIMS circuit, I don't see where the DPDT switch is actually required.
In stlbeer's circuit, the DPDT circuit provides the interlock that ensures the pump is running before the heater can have power switched to it.
Your circuit will protect the pump, but does it in a little different way.

processhead said:
It is a little confusing to see a mechanical relay symbol used with an SSR label on it.

If you are in-fact using an SSR to switch your element, it is wired properly.

I'm not an electrician, but I can read a schematic and have built 5 RIMS systems so I know how to use an SSR and PiDs. And I might have missed something, but regardless of how it's labeled or colored, the wire coming out of the label NEU on the SSR is wired as a neutral. It's a part of the lamp circuit and the pump circuit. That sure doesn't look like a hot to me. If I'm wrong then sorry for interrupting.

I'm not an electrician, but I can read a schematic and have built 5 RIMS systems so I know how to use an SSR and PiDs. And I might have missed something, but regardless of how it's labeled or colored, the wire coming out of the label NEU on the SSR is wired as a neutral. It's a part of the lamp circuit and the pump circuit. That sure doesn't look like a hot to me. If I'm wrong then sorry for interrupting.

I must be blind because I can't see any NEU label on the SSR. The orginal diagram is fine - he has the SSR switching the hot which is connected to the element and a light, the other side of those is connected to neutral. If the SSR was switching the neutral it would have to be on the neutral side of the equipment it was switching.
or are you talking about the box on the left? Thats the PID, nothing wrong with that either really

In stlbeer's diagram, why is the element switch placed downstream of the SSR? When it's wired this way, the SSR can cycle even when the element is turned off. Isn't this unnecessarily reducing the life of the SSR?

I apologize if I'm wrong, I just can't determine why the switch is after the SSR instead of in front.

Back