One day fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadHatter

Reaction score
Thursday night I cooked two batches of beer using Muntons extract and maltodextrin. I cooled it to about 74F, measure the OG (1.047), and pitched my Muntons yeast. By the next morning, both batches were bubbling like there was no tomorrow and then, by the following morning within 36 hours of putting them in the fermenter, the bubbling had stopped. No bubbles whatsoever. I plan to let these sit another week before bottling, but my question is: is the fermentation near completion or is it possible I have a stuck fermentation?

:ban:

Only way to tell is to take a hydrometer reading and check the attenuation. What temp. are you at?

Given that you aren't fermenting too cold, I would suspect they are pretty much done. i would leave them alone until Thursday and then take a SG reading.

Beerrific said:
Only way to tell is to take a hydrometer reading and check the attenuation. What temp. are you at?

Given that you aren't fermenting too cold, I would suspect they are pretty much done. i would leave them alone until Thursday and then take a SG reading.

well, I'm w/o the possibility of an SG since I put my brand new replacement hydrometer in an absolutely safe place "for right now" then five minutes later knocked it from its "safe place" to its destruction on my kitchen floor. BTW, its sitting at 74degrees and has been since sealing it up. I was of the opinion that they were finished also, but wanted to see what more experienced guys had to say. Maybe I and my new and improved set-up(upgraded from stovetop to turkey fryer) are just getting better at this 'cause before it was always about 36 hours before I got constant bubbling from my brews.

Also I was wondering, since I had a minor boil-over on one of these right after the addition of the ingredients at the beginning, is there any one characteristic of the brew that is affected by a boilover?

Yeah, it is probably done. Let it sit for 2 weeks total. You should probably get a replacement hydrometer and take a reading before you bottle.

Boil overs will effect the flavor of the beer. You basically lose some sugar so it will be overall a little more watered down. Probably barley noticeable only if compared side-by-side with one w/o boil over.

Beerrific said:
Yeah, it is probably done. Let it sit for 2 weeks total. You should probably get a replacement hydrometer and take a reading before you bottle.

Boil overs will effect the flavor of the beer. You basically lose some sugar so it will be overall a little more watered down. Probably barley noticeable only if compared side-by-side with one w/o boil over.

Thanks for the info man. Nice photo of my hero too, btw.

There is a good chance it may be done - that is quicker then most of the brews i've done but not unheard of. The most recent beer im making is a bitter - and it was bubbling away within 10 hours. I find if the emp is up over 70 it ferments alot quicker. Just let er sit a while and enjoy.

They can ferment quickly sometimes, for sure. My last batch was 12 gallons of APA and it was pitched on a previous 12 gallon yeast cake. Man that took off like a rocket, I actually hope I got it in the secondary (keg) fast enough to have some carb sugars left. I pitched/put in fermenter at 9:00 at night and had thick krausen the next morning at 10:00. By 9:00 that night I had no bubbles and couldn't transfer to my secondary until the next morning. I just figured I would force carb if I had to, but I haven't made it back from Lubbock to check it out yet. Hopefully I will have a 12 gallon keg of perfection when I get home, but who knows. I really like the speedy fermentation, but it doesn't play into my system very well, as I spund my secondary.

Sitting in 74F ambient temps, they probably hit near 80 during fermentation. That's quite warm. For you next batch, get the fermenter in a water bath and keep that water at around 68. Your beer will taste better.

Bobby_M said:
Sitting in 74F ambient temps, they probably hit near 80 during fermentation. That's quite warm. For you next batch, get the fermenter in a water bath and keep that water at around 68. Your beer will taste better.

Truth also!

And in my experience, (and I could be wrong, there are so many factors) but I have had a couple of batches that fermented too warm and the off flavors that resulted lessened and eventually disapeared over time. I am talking about months of conditioning.

If it tastes good, fine. But any brew will benefit from a longer conditioning time. No matter what, even if you do go ahead and bottle, put 12 or so in a box and tape it up and don't open it for 6 months. Forget about it. You will thank me.

Go ahead and brew another easy batch so that you will be less tempted to drink it if it needs some help. There's no substitute for time. I hate to quote John Mayer, but truer words were never said.....or sung.

Back