On Belgians: Live bottles or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerville

Reaction score
I've been drinking some belgians lately and one of them happened to be Abbey of Leffe-Blonde. I believe all other Belgians I have drank utilized bottle fermentation. Though, this Leffe (drinking it as I type) doesn't have anything. I watched as I poured the contents into its designated glass and never saw any yeast near the end. I wonder why Leffe would keep it's clean and all the others have yeast at the bottom. Any thoughts?

Don't have a good answer for you besides, "That's the way they want it."

I don't know, but Leffe seems to me to be a bit more of a "commercial" type of beer than many of the beers that come from Belgium's small breweries. I'll bet they want it that way to appeal to a broader market. That's just a guess based on my perception....I may be wrong!

in my experiences, Leffe blond used to be a reasonable beer... they didnt used to filter and the flavour was way more complex.

The last time i bought a 6er, i was really disappointed! The beer seems to have changed from a couple of years ago (the last time i bought it). Bad flavours, totally filtered belgium beer... couldnt even believe it. If you really like belgium ale, dont buy this! You will be unhappy.

Last Belgian I bought was Konig Ludwig Hefe which, being in Hefe style, was mit hefe. Very tasty as well.

Latest posts

Back