Old Rasputin OG too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwischer

Reaction score
I new to home brewing & just did my second batch. It's an extract from Austin Homebrew that is a clone of Old Rasputin. The OG was supposed to be 92 but mine measured 80. I made sure to stir well after adding the final water so I'm sure that isn't the issue. What other factors can cause such a low OG? How concerned should I be and is there anything I can do?

While you think you stirred that wort really good, it is incredibly difficult to get the concentrated malt extract to mix well with water. You really got what the kit called for unless you really messed up the water measurement.

I thought I stirred it really good but possibly didn't. Is it possible I left sediment in my brewing pot that was vital to the wort? I auto-siphoned & there was a good deal left that wouldn't siphon. The recipe called to add water to 5.25 gallons & that's exactly how much I put in. Regards, any harm in opening the fermenter today & getting another reading?

One last question, if the issue is that I didn't stir enough should I disturbed the fermenter & give a good stir?

I thought I stirred it really good but possibly didn't. Is it possible I left sediment in my brewing pot that was vital to the wort? I auto-siphoned & there was a good deal left that wouldn't siphon. The recipe called to add water to 5.25 gallons & that's exactly how much I put in. Regards, any harm in opening the fermenter today & getting another reading?

One last question, if the issue is that I didn't stir enough should I disturbed the fermenter & give a good stir?

If you already added the yeast you shouldn't take another reading because the yeast may have already changed the amount of sugars so your reading would be incorrect anyway. Just trust that the amount listed on the kit is the correct OG and go with that. Don't open the fermenter to stir now either. The yeast will find the sugars and will do their own stirring. They can be quite good at that.

Latest posts

Back