Old Hops (I think cascade)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stretch1991

Reaction score
So about two years ago now I managed to get a good amount of fresh hops that a buddy was growing, he vacuum sealed them and I put them in my freezer. They were actually for infused hard spirits (I was going to infuse a gin, vodka, and whiskey) but the cocktail program at my work took a different direction so I forgot about them.

I was digging in my freezer this morning and saw them, they are probably freezer burnt to hell but I would hate to toss them if I could do something with them. At this point do you this all the acids have broke down rendering them entirely useless? Would they be better to dry hop for flavor or be a secondary hop addition?

I plan to work on a bunch of ciders in the coming weeks and would love to use them for that

When I find myself in situations like this I try to make use of the situation. If I were you id make a small batch to test them and also use it as a yeast starter. Make a gallon batch hopped about 35 ibu, taste it and harvest the yeast. If you are lucky you will find the hops are usable and have 3 or 4 batches of yeast.

Just do a simple SMASH. I usually make starter wort BIAB on the stovetop with a paint strainer bag. 1lb 11oz 2 row with 1.5 gallons of water. Comes in around 1.042 so use a little more malt. Calculate some hop additions and handle it like a brew. Split it into 2 vessels if you need to. A taste after ferment should tell you where you stand. Bottle it if it tastes good may get a sixer if youre lucky and a nice batch of yeast to store.

I actually tried beer hates astronauts today for the first time (half acre) and all it is is Vienna malt and Citra hops. So I was going to try and do something like this with it. Thank you for your help!

I actually tried beer hates astronauts today for the first time (half acre) and all it is is Vienna malt and Citra hops. So I was going to try and do something like this with it. Thank you for your help!

I just had this beer recently and I loved it. It was such an easy drinker with some amazing aromas.

Love Vienna malt, did a Vienna lager using 100% Vienna....wonderful.
Citra hops, that would be interesting.....might have to try that with a split batch, 1/2 lager, 1/2 ale

2 year old fresh hops.....personally I'd toss them. They degrade in quality quite rapidly.

2 year old fresh hops.....personally I'd toss them. They degrade in quality quite rapidly.

While with certain things or low quantity I would normally agree, I have so much that an experiment won't kill me. It'll be a once in a lifetime beer! Plus old hops like this (as I continue to research) are perfect for sour beers. I don't expect them to be perfect but $15 for a shot in the dark isn't bad. I only have to buy grains! I'll just use leftover yeast from another batch

Back