old co2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbopper

Reaction score
i just picked up two 5 lb co2 tanks. they have been sitting for 15-20 years but are still full. does co2 have a shelf life or can these be put to use right away?:confused:

i just picked up two 5 lb co2 tanks. they have been sitting for 15-20 years but are still full. does co2 have a shelf life or can these be put to use right away?:confused:

Good question. If it were me I would spend the few bucks to get them filled just to be safe, but again I really don't know. 15-20 years seems kinda long to me.

CO2 20 years ago is still CO2 today. I'd be more concerned that the tanks will fail.

Hydro test is good for 5 years, so that will need to be addressed before refill. Use what's left and then find somewhere to swap or hydro test. Look for fire safety shops.
Most tanks will last for longer than we will.

Hydro test is good for 5 years, so that will need to be addressed before refill. Use what's left and then find somewhere to swap or hydro test. Look for fire safety shops.
Most tanks will last for longer than we will.

whats a hydro test ?

whats a hydro test ?

hydrostatic (hydro) testing involves cranking the pressure of the tank way up to make sure it'll survive without exploding. This has to be done every 5 years. The date of the last test will be stamped on the tank.

I got a 1979 hydrotested 15 lb tank from a friend, still mostly full, a little while back. I cracked the valve and carefully sniffed, and it was odorless...so I figured, what the hell? I used all that CO2, then exchanged the tank for a fresh one for 18 bucks.....fantastic.

Never noticed any off flavors, etc, from the old CO2.

Like all natural materials, CO2 will degrade over time. Eventually (within a few years in some cases) you'll be left with a mixture of 2CO+O2. Depending on the ambient pressure at the time of dispense, you will get one or the other gases from your tank. The result is you'll either asphyxiate from CO or catch fire from O2. Neither is a good scenario.

Of course, I'm totally making this up. Beware the di-hydrogen monoxide (DHMO)

Like all natural materials, CO2 will degrade over time. Eventually (within a few years in some cases) you'll be left with a mixture of 2CO+O2. Depending on the ambient pressure at the time of dispense, you will get one or the other gases from your tank. The result is you'll either asphyxiate from CO or catch fire from O2. Neither is a good scenario.

Of course, I'm totally making this up. Beware the di-hydrogen monoxide (DHMO)

My nerd rage was building up as I read this, then you got me in the end. Good show sir. :rockin:

Yup. Dangerous stuff.

Odorless. Tasteless. Colorless. If you inhale just a small amount of it, it will kill you.

Worst of all, it's damn near EVERYWHERE on the planet.

ya but I put a few ounces in a cup with wires in the intake of my car and I got another 50 MPG!!!!! Big oil has been keeping this off the market!

:ban:

Back