Old Batch - Salvageable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wmau

Reaction score
We moved in April 2017 to a new house and in the shuffle, one of my 5 gallon carboys of wild plum wine ended up getting tucked behind boxes in the dark fruit cellar in the basement. It had been started on 9/29/16 with a starting she of 1.09. The airlock was left on but obviously long ago dried up. I had thought my family probably broke the carboy and just didn't tell me so this is a complete surprise. How do I tell if it's salvageable? Do I just dump it?

Look at it. Is it clear? Cloudy? Are there things floating in it? Growing in it? Living in it? Has it evaporated significantly?

Smell it. Does it smell like wine? Like vinegar? Like farts? Like rotten eggs?

If it looks all right, and smells all right, taste it. Does it taste like wine? Is it alcoholic?

It's wine. It could be fancy vinegar, now. Or it could be a petri dish. Or it could be fine. Take the look, smell, and taste into consideration. If you're at all nervous or unsure about it, pitch it. You already thought it was long gone, so it wouldn't be a huge loss.

Smells like plum wine, looks about right ( tiny bit of stuff at too of liquid) took out 250ml to test - .994fg, looks relatively clear. Tastes like VERY dry plum wine only just ever so slightly sour off note but wild plum often does. No metal or dirt flavors or smells. Nothing floating, no stringy, furry or cruddy debris. Not as clear as I usually like it but I like to add bentonite to clear and this hasn't been racked beyond the primary. Would I benefit from one last round of Potassium Metabisulfite just to be safe?

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_165349309.jpg
    IMG_20200927_165349309.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200927_165343262.jpg
    IMG_20200927_165343262.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
I'd suggest racking a couple times and bottling. I'd probably k-meta to reduce oxidation effects on the transfers, but nothing I'd be concerned with other than off-flavor from sitting on primary for 4 years.

Thank you! This is a pleasant surprise to have something to rack. We'll proceed and be able to have wine to give as gifts at the holidays! I've got 4 nice gallon carboys and some plastic jugs looking to get filled. I've got fresh plum wine brewing and want to be able to use the large carboy soon.

Back