OK, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmaffy

Reaction score
I'm fermenting my first cider right now (apple juice, blueberry/pomegranate juice, and honey). Primary fermentation started exactly 3 weeks ago, and my OG was 1.080. I tested today for the first time, and the SG is 1.005. I'm still getting a bubble in the airlock about every 12 seconds, but I don't want the SG to go so low that it's wine. Should I take the chance and bottle soon?

I could also use some advice on back sweetening. I have some mio drops (sugarfree flavoring) that I thought of using, but I know that some don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners. What would be my best bet to get a little sweetness in the final product?

Thanks!

See the bottle pasteurized thread above. that will give you an idea of what's next if you want a sweet cider.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I would avoid the artificial stuff....if it were my batch...I would back sweeten with some frozen apple concentrate and brown sugar....then pasteurize. Your batch just sounds too good to ruin with the artificial stuff....I agree with the Randzor....read the pasteurize thread...and figure out your next steps...

I would pull it now and stick it in the garage, or the fridge if you are in a warm climate.

It will already taste very dry going from 1.080 to 1.005 since that is about 10% with not much remaining sugar.

Back