ok my first recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrawbag

Reaction score
hello beer buddies. its my first allgrain and first attempt at constructing a recipe so can i get some input please.
dry? stout
11lbs lager malt (its what i have)
1lb caramel malt
1lb flaked maize is called for but im going to use oats(porridge) as its what i have
.75 choc malt
.25 black malt --
.5 roasted barley

.75 northern brewer @60 + .5 oz 10 min
neutral ale yeast, mash for 1 hour at 154 f

if something is just plain wrong here let me know.
thanks for lookin

Sounds nice... not sure how many gallons that's for but I'm gonna guess something between a dark ale to a porter? By lager malt I guess you mean a base golden malt. Seems nice and dark to me. Maybe too dark.

I started all grain with dark and I think it's easier to start with lighter ales. They taste better even and still let you find what is wrong with you ingredients or process. But that's just my usually wrong opinion.

hello beer buddies. its my first allgrain and first attempt at constructing a recipe so can i get some input please.
dry? stout
11lbs lager malt (its what i have)
1lb caramel malt
1lb flaked maize is called for but im going to use oats(porridge) as its what i have
.75 choc malt
.25 black malt --
.5 roasted barley

.75 northern brewer @60 + .5 oz 10 min
neutral ale yeast, mash for 1 hour at 154 f

if something is just plain wrong here let me know.
thanks for lookin

good call on switching the maze for oats. that'll add a nice touch.

i'd lose the 0.25 lbs of black malt. you won't really miss it, and it makes your recipe a little simpler.

what type of caramel malt are you using?

everything else looks good.

23l 5 us gallon brew. my experience with extract kits doing wheat beer is piss water so i wanted something stouty for my AG.
im in ireland so base golden malt sounds like a us version of lager malt. both base malts and golden suggests light colour and flavour just like a lager so ya i think thats ok.
does it sound too light for a stout. like a porter ya but i was hopeing for darker than an ale.
if you were to reccomend a simple ale recipe for a beginner what would you reccomend?
btw this is the grain bill i have to choose from. roasted barley is missing from link
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/first-all-grain-recipe-334516/

i thought the black malt would be good for making it a stout?
as for the caramel malt, i have no idea. the packet says caramel malt. sorry im a noob

23l 5 us gallon brew. my experience with extract kits doing wheat beer is piss water so i wanted something stouty for my AG.
im in ireland so base golden malt sounds like a us version of lager malt. both base malts and golden suggests light colour and flavour just like a lager so ya i think thats ok.
does it sound too light for a stout. like a porter ya but i was hopeing for darker than an ale.
if you were to reccomend a simple ale recipe for a beginner what would you reccomend?
btw this is the grain bill i have to choose from. roasted barley is missing from link
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/first-all-grain-recipe-334516/

from my understanding, a lager malt is a 2-row type malt similar to pilsner malt (http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html).

i think you have some of your terminology a little confused. there's a difference between an ale and a lager, but ales aren't necessarily light colored and lagers aren't necessarily dark colored. whether the beer is considered an ale or a lager is dependent on the yeast used and technique for fermentation. lagers tend to be more crisp and yeast-free in the final product. ales on the other hand inherit many flavors their yeast produce, and their tends to be a higher yeast presence in ales.

stouts and porters are traditionally ales. i think a stout is an EXCELLENT beginner ale to brew if you're trying to produce a drinkable beer. the smoky and roasty flavors of stouts tend to over power any minor imperfections produced, so they're somewhat difficult to screw up.

i would stick with the recipe you came up with, and simply lose the 0.25 lbs of black malt.

i thought the black malt would be good for making it a stout?
as for the caramel malt, i have no idea. the packet says caramel malt. sorry im a noob

no worries.

black malt is good for a stout. however, you're already adding chocolate malt and a dark caramel malt (at least i'm assuming it's dark) that'll contribute a good roastyness to your beer.

by no means will 0.25 lbs of black malt make your beer bad; i just don't think it's going to contribute much of anything. why bother with purchasing and weighing out 0.25 lbs of malt that won't do too much for your beer?

if you already have the black malt, i'd say you should add it, but if not, i wouldn't bother with it.

Overpowered (unnoticed) minor imperfections isn't a good thing while learning, as you might not notice until several batches later... but that's just my take on it. If I want to drink good beer on my first batch, I should have bought beer at the store.

thanks guys. very helpfull. ill ditch the black malt. at least now im not afraid of the recipe and its only the miltitude of new equipment to be scared of.
thanks form the scrawbag

need to update you guys on this. i have to change this to a partial. does 6 lbs of dark dried malt extract sound right? or is it too much. rest of recipe stayes the same minus the black malt. im getting a 13l /3 gallon boil pot for this. its as big as i can buy
anything else i need to know for doing a partial?
i have a youngs boiler and i dont know how to use it. its a 6 gallon plastic bucket with an element in it and a straining copper tube with many holes at the bottom. i presume this is just for steeping the speciality grains. then transfer to the boil kettle and add dme and do an hour boil w/hops at right time. right?

Back