Ok have a few concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngryHobbitBrewing

Reaction score
AAPA

5 gallons
All Grain
1.072~OG→1.020~FG→6.8%ABV 53 IBU 18.2°L SRM
Yeasts
4.23 ounces
1450 - Denny's Favorite 50
Wyeast (Ale) 4.23 ounces

Fermentables
13.62 pounds
2 Row Base
36ppg, 2°L 10 pounds
73%
Crystal 40L
33ppg, 40°L 1 pound
7%
Munich (Dark)
33ppg, 20°L 1 pound
7%
Biscuit
34ppg, 25°L 8 ounces
4%
Crystal 120L
32ppg, 120°L 8 ounces
4%
Oats (Flaked)
39ppg, 0°L 8 ounces
4%
Chocolate
28ppg, 350°L 2 ounces
1%

Hops
5 ounces
Cascade
6%, Pellet 2 ounces
40%
Centennial
10%, Pellet 2 ounces
40%
Magnum
13%, Pellet 1 ounce
20%

Miscellaneous
(null)

Steep
1 hour, 4 gallons
Steep 4 gallons
152°F

Boil
1 hour, 4 gallons
Magnum hops
13%, Pellet 1 ounce
60 minutes (+0)
Cascade hops
6%, Pellet 1 ounce
10 minutes (+50)
Centennial hops
10%, Pellet 1 ounce
10 minutes (+50)

Ferment
14 days @ 68°F, 21 days @ 68°F
Rack to secondary (68°F) 21 days (+14 days)
Cascade hops
6%, Pellet 1 ounce
14 days (+21 days)
Centennial hops
10%, Pellet 1 ounce
14 days (+21 days)

This is my recipe and i just racked to the secondary whhile i was racking i noticed a very potent olive smell is this normal when making an ipa??

I have had many beers that didn't taste or smell right upon bottling. After a few weeks when they were carb'd up and cold, they were fine. It's never a good idea to be critical or worried when you're not assessing the finished product. If it is all done, bottled and carb'd and still smells of olives, then I would be concerned.

I wanted to make an amber ipa which it is sitting pretty amber right now. I just racked to secondary and it tastes very hoppy not bad right now but I'm still gonna let it sit there to see if that olive smell will dissipate. I really wanted to force carb it today but am afraid that if I do that olive smell will stay with the beer. So I will let it sit another two weeks and we will see.....

I wanted to make an amber ipa which it is sitting pretty amber right now. I just racked to secondary and it tastes very hoppy not bad right now but I'm still gonna let it sit there to see if that olive smell will dissipate. I really wanted to force carb it today but am afraid that if I do that olive smell will stay with the beer. So I will let it sit another two weeks and we will see.....

You can condition in the keg, too. Not really much different to the beer.

I decided to bottle this because im entering it into the milwaukee hombrew comp on 10-21! Btw it turned out very well after three weeks in the secondary i just bottled this weekend and it was very malth rich flavor withthe bitter afteraste bite which is spot on!

Back