Ok bring on the hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarus0530

Reaction score
So I have brewed three batches of brew. The beer is great. But one thing. They all seam "heavy" like they fill me up. You see I like to drink a lot of beer on the weekend. I mean two-three case's with my buds is not unheard of. I'm looking for a clean crisp beer (I admit me and my boys drink budwieser when there is no home brew) . See I always believed beer should be drank by the pints full . I dont won't a sipping beer. I don't want a beer I put fruit in. I want a beer that I can just keep drinking. Does any one have a suggestion for the home brewer? I know I'll get "hated" on so bring it :)

Try Northern Brewer's "Cream Ale" extract kit. It's fairly light and still has plenty of flavor. Basically the best gateway beer from a BMC (Bud Miller Coor's) product into the homebrew/craft beer style you can get IMO.

I've brewed that one three or four times and kept it on tap in the summer time when I have a lot of visitors around that need conversion and they've all loved it. :)

Search this site for SMaSH brews. Are you brewing all grain or extract? If all grain then try a SMaSH if doing extract then look for a sessions beer recipe like a Red Ale or an American Pale Ale.

If I were you, I would drink the Bud to get trashed and the homebrew to have a few pints. Eventually, you will get used the "thickness" of ales and be able to put them back too (if that is your goal). Some "thinner" beers you could brew would be cream ale, english mild, english bitter, pale ale, wheats, and if you have the ability pilseners.

Yeah, Cream Ale sounds legit... I wonder if you and your friends might enjoy a Belgian Blonde as well.

Check out the Recipes database for some tasty blonde ales. Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde gets a lot of press here on HBT, though I haven't made it myself.

BTW, don't worry about the haters. Brew and drink for your own reasons. If you always brew what you like to drink, you'll always be happy.

462studio said:
Try Northern Brewer's "Cream Ale" extract kit. It's fairly light and still has plenty of flavor. Basically the best gateway beer from a BMC (Bud Miller Coor's) product into the homebrew/craft beer style you can get IMO.

I've brewed that one three or four times and kept it on tap in the summer time when I have a lot of visitors around that need conversion and they've all loved it. :)

Thanx! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Flavor and light. Sounds perfect for me and my summer time parties!

German Pilsners are my session drink. I make a lot of them. They can be made as a SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop, i.e., Weyermann Pilsner and Saaz). They benefit from a touch of a crystal malt, but that will drive the body up and make it less "sessionable".

Pilseners, and many other session beers, are lagers. If you don't want that, look up English Bitters or Milds. They have a lot of flavor that might turn off the bud bangers, but they are light in body and very sessionable.

whatsleftofyou said:
I definitely agree with this. You didn't say what styles you brewed, which would help us give some direction or insight as to why they seemed "heavy".

I have done an eba, ipa, and an amber. All kits but I'm looking to start all grain once I master the brewing. See here's the thing I really do enjoy these "heavy" beers as say like a special day beers . But I'm looking for an everyday in the summer party beer. I'm still going to brew my specials. Just looking for a lighter beer.

You guys are great !!! I haven't tried my eba yet it's still in process of brewing. I really am going to try all these! This site is fn better then facebook or twitter!

I would suggest exploring some "lighter" commercial beers to see what you like. For session beers lately I've been a big fan of the new belgian mighty arrow and the deschutes mirror pond (I dont know what availability of these beers is generally speaking). I also just brewed a pale ale that was partial mash that is quite drinkable and I would put into the category of a session beer, especially if I tuned back the gravity a bit. If you'd like that recipe I'd be more than willing to send it your way.

Something no one has mentioned:
Since you and the boys hit it hard, I guess you drink from the bottles instead of carefully pouring it in to a glass? That full feeling could be from drinking the yeast and settlings. I did that once and got gut bloat until the the farting started.

lou2row said:
Something no one has mentioned:
Since you and the boys hit it hard, I guess you drink from the bottles instead of carefully pouring it in to a glass? That full feeling could be from drinking the yeast and settlings. I did that once and got gut bloat until the the farting started.

No. we do the "pour" :D ..like I said we enjoy it we all share since we started around the same time (this past Christmas) but we are just looking for a good "party" beer. Something we can drink all day at a summer BBQ. ya' know?

why not try to make a lower gravity beer that is light in body?I accidentally made a pale ale which i mismeasured the cup per pound thing with the extract after i brewed it i realized i put a 1/3 less lme in it and it is turning out pretty good.There are methods to make low gravity light bodied beers.
Im making a irish blonde seems its going to be a pretty nice session beer. I think lawnmower beers may be easy drinkers, how bout hefeweizens?

I find that my English IPA (less I as time goes by :D) is a real easy brew to drink, at least for me... About 5.5% ABV, and damned tasty to boot. Not strong enough to get F'd up on one, or two, but I won't be knocking back a half dozen pints fast.

I brew to make something better than 90% of what you can buy. I pretty much never drink to get F'd up. I will get a bit F'd up from time to time, though, when enjoying a really good batch of home brew. :D

I do tend to brew on the stronger side (ABV wise) with all but one of my home brews being above 5.5% ABV... So far I've stayed under 10% ABV (just barely)... I'm eagerly waiting for my 8.1% ABV old ale to carbonate (bottled a week ago)...

Look up some pub pale ale recipes and give those a shot. Since it looks like you're extract brewing, try using lighter extracts for the base, and use specialty grains, and kettle caramelization to get the color you want... I would also use yeast that likes cooler fermentation temperatures, and make sure you can give it those temps. Or ferment on the lower end of the yeast's temperature range.

Pick up some of the clone recipe books, especially the BYO 250 clone recipe issue, and try making some of those. I'm sure you can find SOMETHING there that will keep you, and your bud's, knocking them back...

lou2row brings up a good point... Don't drink home brew from the bottle. Pour into a glass, stopping when you see any trub coming out. It's easier when you've let the home brew chill in the fridge for at least 3-4 days (4 or more being my choice)... Just means you need to plan ahead a little for when you'll be drinking... Or make sure to refill as you drink... Or have a fridge (or two) dedicated to holding home brew that's ready for drinking (fully carbonated)... Otherwise, make/get a keezer, filter the brew, then carbonate with gas and keep knocking them back until you're no longer vertical... :tank:

Don't know if you're into the style or not but even my homebrew hefeweizen's are great session beers. I drink them all day long on the weekends. I love many many types of beers, but even though I love my amber ale (and commercial ones) I still can't drink my amber all day long. Hefe's, Pilsner's, English bitter's, Belgian Wit's, lighter ale's, and basically most light-medium beer I can drink all day long. That and you can always switch off between lighter commercial brews and your homebrews throughout the day.

Rev.

Rev2010 said:
Don't know if you're into the style or not but even my homebrew hefeweizen's are great session beers. I drink them all day long on the weekends. I love many many types of beers, but even though I love my amber ale (and commercial ones) I still can't drink my amber all day long. Hefe's, Pilsner's, English bitter's, Belgian Wit's, lighter ale's, and basically most light-medium beer I can drink all day long. That and you can always switch off between lighter commercial brews and your homebrews throughout the day.

Rev.

You Sound like my type of drinker! Lol hefeweizer seams to be the popular choice that and the cream ale.

My friend, it sounds like you need to explore the underrated world of session beers. Try an American wheat - the most easy-drinking of ales. How about a British mild if the palate calls for a flavorful yet light and refreshing darker beer? If pale ales are more to your liking, how about an Ordinary or Special Bitter? Do you like your beer fruity? Hefeweizen would fit the bill.

And if you are more advanced, it's hard to beat a Koelsch, Dortmunder, Munich Helles or Altbier. Like a bit of tang to your brew? Then Berliner Weisse is your friend! Oh, the opportunities!

What I do is go my my favorite bar that has craft beer, get a growler of something, then hit my homebrews up. When I am done I am pretty nice.

You have a couple of options to lighten beers, 1. One is lower 149 degree mash temp, which consumes more of the long complex chains of sugar. Please notice that if you cut down the sugar then more of it will ferment out making it a higher alcohol. 2. Higher Dilution ratio, no one says you can't add more water to the carboy or the bottling bucket. down side is that the flavor will also dilute 3. You can add a very little Beano to the beer, which will thin and convert the sugar after the fact. Please understand I am not recommending you do these things, because each one has a flavor consequence. I can also suggest that you drink some water with your flavorful beer, which will make you feel less full.

For me nothing beats an Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on a hot summer day. That is why I started brewing. I can drink anything and lots of it but now I prefer to more taste than quantity. I still go for those BMC lights now and again I am no snob but I do find that I have to drink a butt load of them before I feel the effects of two of any of my homebrews. So that just equals more trips to the restroom for the same results and less flavor.

You Sound like my type of drinker! Lol hefeweizer seams to be the popular choice that and the cream ale.

Sure am and I know exactly where you're coming from! But... I hate Budweiser lol. Though I'm not all anti-BMC, like for example I love Fosters when most hate it and I actually find Miller Genuine Draft pretty decent - kinda bready, though I don't drink it often.

One of the beers I pound a crapload of down is Asahi Super Dry, the big 1 liter (33.8oz) cans of it. It's so nice and crisp and refreshing, I just love it.

I'm with ya though, I'm personally a hater of 12oz bottles. I mean... I don't want to be getting up and refilling after every few swigs. But for me, hefeweizen's have been my top favorite beer for 10 years now or so. I didn't even know others had recommended it in the thread till you mentioned it :)

Rev.

i have a English Special Bitters that is a really good session beer. if you want to lighten up your beer a little you could add and extra 1/2 to 1 full gallon and pitch some corn sugar. not overly recommended but it will lessen the "thickness" of your brew and keep the same ABV. usually 1lb. sugar to one full gallon of water. i used to do that when i started and have since become acclumated to the homebrews. hence my signature

German Pilsners are my session drink. I make a lot of them. They can be made as a SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop, i.e., Weyermann Pilsner and Saaz). They benefit from a touch of a crystal malt, but that will drive the body up and make it less "sessionable".

Pilseners, and many other session beers, are lagers. If you don't want that, look up English Bitters or Milds. They have a lot of flavor that might turn off the bud bangers, but they are light in body and very sessionable.

I agree. It sounds like you want a Pilsner. Research lagering in general and diacetyl rests for a short cut. Get the beer you want and then you get to figure out how to brew enough of it. You may have to decide when you want quantity and when you want quality. Cheers!

Also, as stated above. Go all grain and mash at lower temps. You get lighter body and more alcohol. Double bonus...

sounds like you want a light lager-try brewing a european lager-cause the american lager is a joke

paul7 said:
sounds like you want a light lager-try brewing a european lager-cause the american lager is a joke

Will do ! like I said I like all kind of beers but looking to brew a beer thats a Lil lighter for my three keg system. I refuse to lose taste for lighter though. I don't want to dilute anything just a good pool party beer. And one I can brew myself.

So I have brewed three batches of brew. The beer is great. But one thing. They all seam "heavy" like they fill me up. You see I like to drink a lot of beer on the weekend. I mean two-three case's with my buds is not unheard of. I'm looking for a clean crisp beer (I admit me and my boys drink budwieser when there is no home brew) . See I always believed beer should be drank by the pints full . I dont won't a sipping beer. I don't want a beer I put fruit in. I want a beer that I can just keep drinking. Does any one have a suggestion for the home brewer? I know I'll get "hated" on so bring it :)

Coopers Canadian Blonde, Coopers Mexican Cerveza.

Lately my pale ales have become my session beers. Full flavor, average on abv, and plenty of them!

This was definitely the gateway beer for a lot of my friends. Light and crisp, easy to drink and simply disappears in the summer. In my case it was a Brewers Best kit and to date the best tasting kit I've made (although only 1/2 dozen under my belt).

Already planning more for this summer.

Since most homebrewers love and brew mainly intense, highly flavored beers, homebrewed lighter beer is way underrated IMO. It feels wierd when you're brewing them because they look so watery, but they're SO much better & fresh-tasting than commercial light beers once you iron out the wrinkles get them tailor-made for your tastes. My light batches are always gone so much faster than the heavy ones...

I have to agree with what's been said so far. Lighter can have plenty of taste too. But I do enjoy the salvator dopple bock,amber ales & such as well. Come summer,though,light & flavorful is better. I'm making a few different pale ales that I've been coming up with recipes for.
I based them on the Cooper's OS lager can that comes with ale yeast. With hop additions & 3lbs of Munton's plain malts (un-hopped)-extra light,light,amber. That sort of range.
The light color of the OS lager,or even their lawnmower lager work great as a "base". The Munton's lighter SDME's add just a bit more color,flavor,alcohol. But not dark at all. Good colors Flavors for hot weather,just not medium or heavy. I tried to give the flavors of the mids with some of the clean,crisper qualities of the lights. Try that...:mug:

I like drinking my home brew as much as I like drinking craft beers and as much as I like having a lighter beer (bud light) to drink when I feel like having a lot of beers.

This weekend I went to my buddy's house for some drinking games. I brought some golden ale that I made and everyone loved it for "heavy drinking". It was lighter and easier to drink than the ipa and belgian wit I made.

Seeing as bud is a lager, you can always try making a light lager...if you have the equipment for cooler fermenting temps. Stella is a good one to try.

Seriously though, I CANNOT relate.

I too like to drink a 12er now and again, so I just brew low acohol batches for that, but I want them to have FLAVOR.

I can no longer take budweiser or even miller.

Last restaraunt I went to had 4 kinds of light lager on tap, nothing else. SWMBO got a miller, I got a coke.

Tell you what. You and I go halfsies on grains/hops and I'll give you all my second runnings! Win-win.

Tell you what. You and I go halfsies on grains/hops and I'll give you all my second runnings! Win-win.

Isn't that called "sloppy seconds?" lolz I remember the guys at Colonial Williamsburg doin a strong ale,then run it again for table beer,then a 3rd time for small beer.

Back