Oily sheen on beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoonMaster

Reaction score
Just bottled my first batch a couple days ago and I'm concerned with what looked like oil on the surface of the beer when I transferred it to the bottling bucket. I didn't notice it at all when it was in the secondary and the only place I can think of that it came from is the pot I used to heat the priming sugar.I tried to clean it out beforehand with just water before I used it but there is a chance there is residual soap or olive oil that is now in my beer. How bad is this? I'm hoping its not a lot, but I definitely noticed it when bottling. The only other thing I could think of is that I was using starsan for the first time but I haven't seen anything online to indicate it could cause that.

I'm not sure if it will affect the flavor too much, but if it is olive oil it could affect the head on your beer. I say ride it out and you should still be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor :)

My beer sometimes has that on top. Was it a hoppy beer, did you dry hop? It could be related to that. Its never affected the taste or head retention on mine.

My beer sometimes has that on top. Was it a hoppy beer, did you dry hop? It could be related to that. Its never affected the taste or head retention on mine.

I've noticed an oily sheen on some of my beers in the bottling bucket, and come to think of it most of those were dry hopped. My guess is it's the oils from the hops. Anyway, the beer always turned out good, so I would just RDWHAHB :mug:

Not dry hopped or particularly hoppy, just an Irish Red. I am fairly certain its olive oil the more that I think about it, I initially thought it was soap but I had spaghetti a few days prior so oil would make sense and can be tough to get off. Kind of a bummer, but at least it wasnt in it the whole time. I went and bought a dedicated cheapo saucepan for the future so this wont happen again. Live and learn I guess. I'm still gonna drink it though!

Every beer I have ever made had an oily sheen in the bottling bucket. None of them were dry hopped or particularly hoppy. I just always assumed it was hop oils. Never had any trouble with head retention or anything.

Every beer I have ever made had an oily sheen in the bottling bucket. None of them were dry hopped or particularly hoppy. I just always assumed it was hop oils. Never had any trouble with head retention or anything.

Thats what I'm thinking as well. Doesn't need to be dry hopped, just the fact that hops have oil makes it seem like a possiblity.

Not dry hopped or particularly hoppy, just an Irish Red. I am fairly certain its olive oil the more that I think about it, I initially thought it was soap but I had spaghetti a few days prior so oil would make sense and can be tough to get off. Kind of a bummer, but at least it wasnt in it the whole time. I went and bought a dedicated cheapo saucepan for the future so this wont happen again. Live and learn I guess. I'm still gonna drink it though!

I've done exactly what you described here. I've not noticed any carbonation problems, infact I often have to much - probably pour problems plus drinking vessel flaws. As afar as taste, I never had any problems.

Mine always seem to have an oily sheen on the top as well. Never thought of hop oils but always thought it might have something to do with the priming sugar I racked on top of. Either way I have never had a problem that I have noticed. It has always produced beer.

I've done exactly what you described here. I've not noticed any carbonation problems, infact I often have to much - probably pour problems plus drinking vessel flaws. As afar as taste, I never had any problems.

Good to hear, thanks for the peace of mind. Hopefully its just hops related but its good to know it wont be ruined!

Latest posts

Back