Ohh how I hate the itch....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
and not the itch you are thinking...... I live on a few acres of woods. Right now I am working on clearing a small area to put a 20x20 carport that I will be turning into a chicken coop.. last few months it has been just cleaning up the grounds from the trees and limbs from when I had a septic system put in. I had about 7 small trees ( 6-10 inch Diameter) trees to cut down, well, I ended felling 1 tree the wrong way (palm to forehead), without thinking about, i just plowed through the woods to cut up the tree into more manageable pieces. That was a week ago. And now, I am paying for it, poison IVY. sigh...

Ugh. I get it - but it could have been much, much worse.

When I was 10 my dad decided to expand our lawn in the back yard. He had a bunch of trees taken out then set about clearing the brush into a big pile and burning it. Me - 10 - decided playing around the fire would be fun and I spent the whole afternoon poking at it. The next morning I was rushed to the hospital and pumped full of antihistamines and steroids and bathed in lotions. I had lesions everywhere including my nasal passages, esophagus, eyelids...just a total freak show. I spent three days there before they sent me home with a bag of steroids and it took weeks for all the bumps to recede.

But there's a silver lining: since that time I can literally roll in PI and not get a single reaction. Even today.
Not worth it though...

Cheers!

I have heard of people having a bad reaction to it being burned. So far I will say That I have been lucky. Right now I am burning a lot of stuff.... However, I should of known better, since I am aware that there is poison ivy on our property, and I am not being smart and protecting myself....One of those life choices, I know what can happen but will gamble...
I have read that baking soda works well with poison ivy, as in stopping the itch..... I decided to give it a try, and wow... not sure if it is matter of mind of will or what, but for the most part, the itching sensation has sist.

but being so young, was it worth it.... one time of complete misery, versus many times of misery? This is a question i could not answer.

I used to have it around the oaks behind my house. I'd get back there and get wrecked. Eventually, I killed all of it. It's been years since it's been a problem for me.

For some reason, it always got me right in my privates area. I got some sort of steroidal cream that fixed it right away. Still have a tube of that (at least 10 yrs old) just in case it pops up again.

Leaves of 3, let it be. If you're allergic to it, you need to know what it looks like.

I used to have it around the oaks behind my house. I'd get back there and get wrecked. Eventually, I killed all of it. It's been years since it's been a problem for me.

For some reason, it always got me right in my privates area. I got some sort of steroidal cream that fixed it right away. Still have a tube of that (at least 10 yrs old) just in case it pops up again.

Leaves of 3, let it be. If you're allergic to it, you need to know what it looks like.
I don't want to know what you wore doing with that stuff with your privates ..

I know its my fault. after I play in the woods i do shower and scrub... and I do mean scrub... however this time around I wasn't thinking. so... but a person should be able to complain from time to time on their stupidity

Back