Oh crap...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhunter87

Reaction score
My cider has a slight vinegar taste!!! It's still in the carboy, and I dropped some pectic enzyme in there to clear it out, but I just gave it a quick taste and it's got a slight undertone of vinegar taste!

Fixable?

You sure it's not a sour/bitter taste? As long as your carboy was topped up, or had a nice thick Co2 blanket over it, it shouldn't be acetobacter. One of my ciders this year that was very green tasted a bit like vinegar, but it aged right out.

If you keg, I just lightly flow some Co2 from my tank into the carboy for 3 to 5 seconds. Is this still in the primary? How much headspace are we talking?

Is it the carboy that you posted in the current "Cider Photo" thread? If so, that's a lot of head space and I am not sure what to do short of the kegging idea.

I royally effed it up I believe...

Secondary, few inches of headspace.

About 4 months ion secondary, but has not had that much headspace the whole time..

Back