OG Reading Too High?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satokad

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I just put together a mead with the following recipe for a 1 gallon batch:

-3lbs Clover Honey
-Spring water as needed to get to 1 gallon
-1 gallon carboy
-1 airlock
-1 bung
-Yeast Nutrient
-Yeast (Lavlin K1-V1116)

Where I found this, the recipe said the OG should be around 1.095. I bought a new hydrometer that goes higher than my beer one, and it read at 1.192. Pretty sure I'm reading this right, and the color coding on the hydrometer said I was in dessert wine territory. Everything else I've brewed so far, whether beer or mead, has been right around the listed OG and FG.
Is something amiss, or can a traditional honey mead go that high?
The only two things that I did that were not exactly the same as the recipe were that I may have been a few ounces short on water as I was trying to make sure there was enough headspace to avoid another bung blow-out, and I did not add yeast energizer, only nutrient.
I did the gravity reading before pitching the yeast which is my understanding for when it should be done.
Thanks.

You must be reading something wrong. From my calculations, if your OG was that high for one gallon, you would have had to use 5.5-6 pounds of honey. And your ABV would get to about 25%, if it could go that high, which I doubt. With 3 pounds, my calculations say your OG should be around 1.105 and your ABV will end between 10 and 14 depending on your yeast and how low it finishes.

You must be reading something wrong. From my calculations, if your OG was that high for one gallon, you would have had to use 5.5-6 pounds of honey. And your ABV would get to about 25%, if it could go that high, which I doubt. With 3 pounds, my calculations say your OG should be around 1.105 and your ABV will end between 10 and 14 depending on your yeast and how low it finishes.

You're right. I just went back and looked at it again. I have no idea what I was thinking...or seeing. I must be more tired than I thought. It was 1.102. Sorry for being such a dumba**. Good thing I didn't have any brain surgery to perform this evening.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Even without an hydrometer you can use a rule of thumb that if you have dissolved 1 lb of honey in water to make 1 gallon the honey will raise the gravity of the water by 35 points. Any reading you get that suggests a wildly different figure means that either the reading you took is wrong or you have not used the volumes and/or materials you thought you used in the ways you thought you used them.

Back