OG of 1.020 What happend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gokorn2

Reaction score
So followed the recipe to the T. Didn't do anything extra or anything. Pulled a sample for my satellite, and to check the OG. It was 1.020 or so. Seems super week for a IPA.

I put 1.5lbs grain annd 9lbs of LME into 2.5gals. Added 6oz of hops. Boiled then added to carboy filled to 5gal mark. Than this....

Never had this happen before. My guess is, some how i got to much water in there?

Surely your wort was not mixed thoroughly when you filled the carboy to the 5 gallon mark. That amount of LME would not yield an OG that low.

My guess is that you didn't mix the $h1t outta the wort after topping up with water. Unless you're going to stir it with a paint mixer and drill for around 5-10 minutes you're not going to get an accurate OG without a full boil.

Gimmie a minute and I'll estimate your OG... ...I get about 1.069 for your OG, just roll with that.

Thanks guys, I did swirl it around a few times as i always do,
Guess i didn't do it enough

Thanks agian

I had this problem once. Took an OG and it was 1.043 (supposed to be 1.083) I FREAKED for a second. Then said... hmmm i bet i didn't shake enough. Shook till my insides flipped a few times and came out excactly as expected. Good times :)

Back