Official 2008 GABF Denver Oct 9-11 thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys - I should have posted this weeks ago, but for those of you unfamiliar with the CO beer situation, here's an awesome little pamphlet I randomly found laying around the office (of all places). I scanned it fairly large so you could actually read it. Hope this helps.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/BEER_CO.jpg

Make sure to check out Anheuser-Busch in Fort Collins and Coors in Golden. Ahhhhhh i'm joking. I love Wild Mountain (in Nederland, way cool environment), Left Hand, Boulder Beer, Avery, Twisted Pine, Oskar Blues, and the Pumphouse in Longmont (not shown on pamphlet). I realize that's a lot of breweries, but there are a lot of awesome breweries and brewpubs around here.

The GABF floor on October 9
IMG00017.jpg

Pretty little kegs, all dressed up for prom:
IMG00020.jpg

I had an awesome time at the GABF last night. Here's a few pics.
Front of the line for entry
DSC00561.JPG
Charlie Papazian and I
DSC00562.JPG
Chatting with Sam
DSC00563.JPG
DSC00564.JPG
Thanks for pouring my Pliny Vinnie
DSC00567.JPG

I didn't take my camera last night but we milled around New Glarus about 10 minutes before the opening and there wasn't a line. Ended up walking/chatting with a friend and came back 5 minutes before the open and there were at least 20-30 people in line at New Glarus already.

Their Berliner Weisse was awesome.

Not sure if I'm going to go down tonight, might head over for a bit though.

Hey guys, I'm going tonight...Can some of you that went last night tell me some of the beers you thought really stood out? Cheers!:mug:

Pictures are a little hard to post straight from the blackberry. But maybe tomorrow morning when I'm lying in bed hung over. Did anybody who was there see how drunk Jim Koch was tonight? He could barely speak at the food pairing presentation.

I only stayed at the fri night session for maybe 2 hours last night.

A beer I was pleasantly surprised with was the Peanut Butter Blonde Ale from Blue Moon. Of course they are right across from the DFH booth so its a pain getting in there.

If you have a pass to get into the draft VIP area its worth a go. You can get full glasses of whatever they've got in there (not sure if it changes), they had DFH 60 min and Widmer's Brrrrrr Seasonal. Also some good music and chips and salsa, guacamole, etc. I think you can get a pass at the regular Draft booth, not sure what it takes though.

Brought the camera, only took two photos but they were good ones...

my roommate and Jim
DSC006271.JPG

me and Sam at the DFH Falling Rock tasting
DSC00628.JPG

Only 2 and a half hours until doors open for the afternoon session!!! Just got myself "primed" by having steak, eggs, toast and an oatmeal stout. It's never too early to start drinking beer on GABF day.

who else tried the new nut brown that Leinenkugals is rolling out this fall for the holidays? Holy S*&#! that was easily one of my top 5 beers i tried at the GABF. this was my first one i ever went to by the way... and i was sick as could be... but i still went and drank until i couldn't handle it anymore without being sick from the germs in me... and not from the beer i was pouring down to try and kill them sucky sucks that were making my life horrible on my first GABF ever.

I also got my copy of Charlie papazans book signed while i was there too :mug:
I also got a free pint glass from THE ONION cuz i was wearing a Packers hat. THE ONION originated in Madison, WI for those who don't know so a lot of their staff are cheeseheads.

I had an awesome time guys and gals! Was nice to meet a few more faces. :mug: I'll get my pics posted sometime today. For some reason I'm still tired and going back to bed.

Here's my totally subjective list of the beers I tried that I thought were standouts:
  • New Glarus Belgian Red
  • 75th St. Brewery Dubbel
  • Iron Hill Vienna Red (2008 GABF Gold)
  • Papago Brewing Taz Belgian Sour
  • Atlanta Brewing Red Brick Brown (2008 GABF Gold)
  • Cambridge House Alt 45
  • Sam Adams Longshot Cranberry Wit

I'm a little surprised how many of the above beers are fruit-heavy, since I'm not usually a fruity beer guy, but all the above were tasty.

Also, special mention to the Wynkoop's Obamanator, an interesting, spicy, clovey maibock that I thought was pretty good. I didn't have it at the GABF, but rather at the Wynkoop while I was trying to warm up.

It was great meeting up with you guys for a quick toast! I wish I had more time to stay and talk, but had a few non-brewers with me. I'm sure we'll talk again.

Cheers!
Ken

Did anyone notice the lack of California Common beers at this years GABF? There were a lot of high hopped reds and quite a few sour beers, but I think I only tasted two steams. I guess that style is out of vogue again.

Here's my totally subjective list of the beers I tried that I thought were standouts:

• [*]New Glarus Belgian Red
  • 75th St. Brewery Dubbel
  • Iron Hill Vienna Red (2008 GABF Gold)
  • Papago Brewing Taz Belgian Sour
  • Atlanta Brewing Red Brick Brown (2008 GABF Gold)
  • Cambridge House Alt 45
    [*]Sam Adams Longshot Cranberry Wit

I'm a little surprised how many of the above beers are fruit-heavy, since I'm not usually a fruity beer guy, but all the above were tasty.

Also, special mention to the Wynkoop's Obamanator, an interesting, spicy, clovey maibock that I thought was pretty good. I didn't have it at the GABF, but rather at the Wynkoop while I was trying to warm up.

those 2 were awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mug: didn't try the others on your list though :cross:

So. . . did anyone manage to get any pics from the Thursday session?

. . . specifically by any chance of a girl in a German costume?

So. . . did anyone manage to get any pics from the Thursday session?

. . . specifically by any chance of a girl in a German costume?

I didn't take my camera with me at all, kept forgetting it. I saw quite a few girls in German costumes there though on Thursday (and all the other nights too)

Back