Official 2008 GABF Denver Oct 9-11 thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did with the Allentown/Bethlehem Brew Works ( Pennsylvania ), we competed last year and had a great time, the ProAm event is a really cool tie-in with the GABF. Last year there were 47 entries, this year there are 60, so good to see it's popularity growing.

I did with the Allentown/Bethlehem Brew Works ( Pennsylvania ), we competed last year and had a great time, the ProAm event is a really cool tie-in with the GABF. Last year there were 47 entries, this year there are 60, so good to see it's popularity growing.

Very cool. Can't wait to try it.

Anyone else here have a beer in the ProAm competition?

Looking forward to meeting some fellow HBTers. Be sure to stop by our booth (montana brewing company). Hopefully we can repeat small brewpub of the year.

Fingers crossed.

HOW do you get in on a Pro-Am comp? and how does it work? Your recipe and they brew it or what?

Typically a brewery associates with a competition where the winner will get picked to have their beer brewed by the brewery and submitted to the GABF Pro-Am competition. So the brewery basically takes your recipe and brews up a batch for sale and for entry into the competition.

Combed the thread and sent a Pm to BakerStreetBeers; Gabe; nickhead; Bokonon.

ColoXJ, I have you down as a scratch.
Glibbidy are you still a longshot?

well, plans just changed, that weekend is the 24 hours of moab, no way I am driving all the way out there with no guarantee of a campsite.

My roomate just picked us up tickets for the friday night session. Anyone have two extras for the saturday AHA member session????:D

I would go thursday, but then work friday would suck, and I'll have to leave early anyway...maybe I should take friday off...I'd go sat night, but they run out of all the good beers by then.

from Avery Brewing to me...

2008 Boulder County Brews Cruise
Pre-GABF “Highway to Hops” tour of area breweries features an additional bus trip and distillery visit
Tickets are on sale until this Friday, September 19th!

The third annual Boulder County Brews Cruise will feature three bus packages for 2008 and a visit to Stranahan’s Colorado Whiskey in Denver.

Last year’s 2nd annual Cruise was a sold-out excursion that carried two busloads of US and European beer lovers from Denver to some of Boulder’s best beer and mead makers.

This year’s tour (dubbed “Highway to Hops”) is set for October 8, 2008, one day prior to the start of the 2008 Great American Beer Festival, October 9-11 at the Colorado Convention Center.

The 2008 Boulder County Brews Cruise will carry beer fiends to Avery Brewing, Boulder Beer Company, Left Hand Brewing Company, Oskar Blues Brewery & Pub (in Lyons), the new Oskar Blues Brewery (in Longmont), the Pumphouse Brewery and Redstone Meadery.

One of the 56-passenger tours will also stop at Stranahan’s Colorado Whiskey. The pioneering Denver microdistillery makes its premium whiskey from a custom-made “distiller’s wash” produced by Oskar Blues Brewery.

For just $50, Brews Cruisers get a seat on the bus, free samples at each stop, a light breakfast, lunch, and a commemorative Highway to Hops T-shirt. Riders also get a 15% discount on all other beers and merchandise at each stop.

The Cruise gives riders a chance to try some of the state’s best beers at their source, and showcases the wonderful spirit of cooperation among the area’s craft breweries.

The cruise is sponsored by Draft Magazine. Now in its third year of publication, the magazine focuses on the beer lifestyle and the globe’s expanding beer and alcoholic beverage culture. Get details at DRAFT Magazine | Life on Tap. America's Favorite Beer Magazine .

The 2008 Brews Cruise buses begin departing from the Colorado Convention Center (at 14th Street and Stout Street) at 8 AM on the morning of October 8.

The Brews Cruises begin returning to the Convention center starting around 5 PM.

Beer lovers can reserve seats on the three buses at Left Hand Brewing | Longmont Colorado | Sawtooth | Milkstout | Jackman's Pale Ale | Deep Cover Brown Ale | JuJu Ginger | Polestar Pilsner | Haystack Wheat | Imperial Stout by clicking on the Boulder County Brews Cruise link at the site.

This year’s GABF will present over 1800 different beers from over 400 US breweries. Get details at Welcome to the Brewers Association .

For more information contact:

Marty Jones

Oskar Blues Brewery

303-860-7448, [email protected] or [email protected]

or

Chris Lennert

Left Hand Brewing Company

303-994-0458, [email protected]

Edit 9/16
Everyone that is attending, PM me the following info:
Handle
Real Name (First and Last)
Session
Cell
Can you get text messsages on your phone?

Confirmed Attendees
olllllo & SWMBO
Ooompa Loompa
dblvsn
brauhausjoe
MNBugeater
summersolstice & SWMBO
BigKahuna & SWMBO
RichBrewer
MWHC22 & SWMBO
jds
mrbowenz
*Bokonon
*nickhead
*Pirate Ale
*MTpilot
*poppy360

* I'll send out an updated file with these folks at the end of the week.

So, again, if anyone has an extra ticket or two for the AHA session, I would be happy to reimburse you, and bring a bomber or two of my chardonnay oak-aged belgian golden strong ale (best beer I have made yet) for you....

So, again, if anyone has an extra ticket or two for the AHA session, I would be happy to reimburse you, and bring a bomber or two of my chardonnay oak-aged belgian golden strong ale (best beer I have made yet) for you....

Dan,

It's possible that I might have 1 or 2 of these, but I wouldn't bank on it. I'll PM you if that happens but it will probably be short notice...

Also, I'll be there for Saturday Members only with a fellow homebrewer (not a member here) and both of our SWMBOs.

I get so damn excited for this thing every year!

I might have an extra, but won't know for at least a week or two. I'll keep you in mind though.

Is anyone interested in swapping at the GABF? I have a ****load of wine, a little less than a ****load of mead, some sparkling cider, 2-3 braggots, and some n00b made beers.

I'll be bringing a small amount of stuff on Saturday, but I'm pretty low on bottled beer and or wine. Mostly I've got a few things I want a few people to try, and I'm not really looking for anything in return...other than maybe some honest opinions.

Summersolstice:

I'd be interested in swapping a few beers, but we need to work on logistics, since I'm sure few people will want to lug beer around the convention center.

Well, except for inside of them. I'll be carrying plenty of beer that way.

I know I promised an updated list and I will send it out by this weekend's end.
Everytime I send it out, we get a new person (up around 20 now).

So far, everyone is into txting.

We'll set up meet points every night and I will txt as we go.
I will also be using twitter/brightkite, so you can follow along.

As a general rule, at the end of most nights you will find most of us at Falling Rock.

Just yell out HBT once in awhile.

Guys, I gotta be honest, last year, after 5 hours of drinking, I couldn't have imagined trying to go to Falling Rock and having another....we'll see though...

I'm going to be at the Crowne Plaza as well. Stayed there last year.

I'll be at the Thursday night and Sat day sessions.

Will also be on The Left Hand bus tour on Wed.

Probably spend several nights at the Cheeky Monk.

Probably spend several nights at the Cheeky Monk.

Was there on saturday night....food is ok, beer selection is good, but not what I expected and waaaayyyyy overpriced. $8 for a 8oz pour of Dutchess de Borgone, or any other beer on tap. $8 for 12oz bottles, prices go up for bigger ones.

Oh, my other major issue is that the Dutchess was the ONLY sour beer they had, and they didn't have any Saisons....seriously?

I think that they had only been opened about a month or so when the GABF hit last year. I went on Thursday night and the selection was good. Probably didn't hurt that some of the reps were in there buying some rounds. The main advantage was that it wasn't as crowded as Falling Rock.

I'll probably spend some time at Great Divide as well. (I'll definitely be stopping by Falling Rock at some point - does anyone know when they are releasing their schedule?)

Latest posts

Back