Off the wall question:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragnarök

Reaction score
So, my monkey brain keeps telling me to eat the leftover fruit that I’ve used to make mead. I have been erring on the side of caution and just throw it away. Is it safe to eat? Like, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be, but like, is it?
I really just wanna shut my monkey brain up.

I just pulled what started out as 9 pounds of fruit from my Berry Death BOMM. I weighed it, it's down to 2 1/3 pounds of mush. You could eat it, but, me personally, I would pass. You might get a buzz out of it though🤔🤨

Much of the flavor as of course all the sweetness will have been extracted and is sitting in the mead. You might add the fruit as a topping for some ice-cream but as a fruit dessert? Not really... BUT I made a second run of wine from wine grapes I purchased last fall and the flavor was (I would argue) more or less indistinguishable from the fist run. But then I hand pressed the grapes and so did not extract much of the flavors still trapped in the fruit for the first run.

Like, I figured it would taste bad, and logically I knew it was probably safe to eat, but I just figured I’d ask first.

I was gonna try a piece of cantaloupe from my last batch, but when I picked it up it felt . . . well it no longer felt like cantaloupe.
My monkey brain is no longer curious.

Like, I figured it would taste bad, and logically I knew it was probably safe to eat, but I just figured I’d ask first.

I was gonna try a piece of cantaloupe from my last batch, but when I picked it up it felt . . . well it no longer felt like cantaloupe.
My monkey brain is no longer curious.
It seems I'm not the only one who has a problem with textures 🤣🤣

I made a second run of wine from wine grapes I purchased last fall and the flavor was (I would argue) more or less indistinguishable from the fist run. But then I hand pressed the grapes and so did not extract much of the flavors still trapped in the fruit for the first run.
Sorry this is :off:.....
I made a similar experimental batch with some vidal blanc white wine grapes last fall. I crushed the grapes, let stand for 24 hrs, and then put the grapes in the press and let the "free run" juice drain out. I then put the grapes in a bucket added about the same amount of water as the free run juice that came out and added some pectic enzyme, and let it sit for 24 hrs. I then pressed as normal and eventually made a very nice 9% white wine with the second run. I've made second run wines before with added sugar and didn't like it at all. This fall I'm going to do it again but then make a "third run" by saving the pressed grapes and adding a Saison beer wort and then fermenting it.
Back to the OP's topic, I've tasted fruit that has been used in my wine, cider and beer projects and there's no decent flavor left, I suppose you could eat it if you were starving, but I doubt there is any nutritional value left in it anyway. Toss it in the compost.

Back