"Off" beer taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave8fire

Reaction score
Brewed my second batch of "wheat" and half way through the case I encountered a bottle that had a really "off" taste to it. To this point all bottles were very good. The cap popped off with nice pssst, good foamy head and no weird smells, just a taste that wasn't the same as the others. Any thoughts??

thanks

dave althouse

Any chance it has to do with what you were eating at/near the time? Sometimes that can make more of a difference than you might think. Otherwise maybe just that bottle was contaminated. Can you describe the off flavor?

Hi I've encountered a similar problem with two of my wheat beers. I have great aroma and head retention. It's just the flavour is like an off vegetable, maybe Dimethyl sulfides?

There have been a couple of threads about metallic tasting beers and one of the reasons being touted was that sometimes when capping or uncapping a bottle some metal powder residue, caused by crimping the cap shut, gets deposited around the lip of the bottle and could be either introduced into the mouth if drinking from the bottle or get into beer being poured into a glass.

Was thinking that if it's just the odd bottle, like you're experiencing, and there's no off smell it's a possibility. Could also be just a bottle that wasn't quite cleaned/sanitized thoroughly enough.

My guess is what is said above:

Either your bottle was not completely sanitized or you may have gotten some sediment from your pour into the glass....

Back