Oats in Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNow

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am planning a small saison recipe (OG 1.040 or less) using pilsner as the base (70%) with the remaining grist as rye (10%), wheat (10%), and oats (10%). I've never used oats before. All of the threads I've read talk about oats in stouts and similar beers. What I wanted to understand - should I use the oats 'as is' or should I toast them briefly in the oven? I do not know exactly what to expect from them in a light saison except - helps with head retention and 'slight oily' mouthfeel.

A lot of people will tell you to omit them because saisons are typically very dry, but I use a small portion in mine and its great. That sais, i only use about 5%. And you can just toss them in the mash.

Oats won't add a ton of body but rye and wheat can. Oats will contribute a smooth mouthfeel. Personally, I think it sounds great. Let us know how it turns out.

I agree, it will lend a wonderful silky mouthfeel to it and a great idea. Since saisons (IMHO) are not highly specific in terms of precise style with the ingredients.

Wouldn't increasing the mouthfeel distract from the dryness of the beer (which is important in this style). I'm not saying it wouldn't taste good, but I've always put saison on the drier side of the spectrum and I would think that going from the normal "light to medium mouthfeel" to "medium to heavier mouthfeel" would push you a little outside the style. I don't know if the oats alone would do that, but wouldn't the oats + wheat + rye be a little on the heavy side? Am I completely off on this? I must admit I'm a fan of saison but by no means an expert.

I agree, it will lend a wonderful silky mouthfeel to it and a great idea. Since saisons (IMHO) are not highly specific in terms of precise style with the ingredients.

I agree, lots of commercial Saison's have oats in them.

Wouldn't increasing the mouthfeel distract from the dryness of the beer

Yes, no, maybe. It depends on how much is used, certainly you can go too far. However, since saisons are so loosely defined it is not considered out of style. BJCP defines Saison mouthfeel as this:

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body. Alcohol level can be medium to medium-high, though the warming character is low to medium. No hot alcohol or solventy character. Very high carbonation with an effervescent quality. There is enough prickly acidity on the tongue to balance the dry finish. A low to moderate tart character may be present but should be refreshing and not to the point of puckering.

I actually added 2 pounds of Oats to my last Saison. It had a very nice smooth, creamy mouth feel, and great head retention. Foam has small bubbles. I would definitly suggest oats in a sasion.

In my experience, oats do nothing for mouthfeel. The rye however will add body and a viscous mouthfeel so I would beware of using too much rye.

The oats will boost gravity and contribute to alcohol production. They will help to dry out your saison, so I say go for it, 5-10% should be fine.

I like flaked oats + flaked wheat in my saisons... Just noticed that flaked rye is a thing, so I'll be trying that next with the packet of belle saison I have in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back