Oatmeal & Spent grain dog treats safe for dogs???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I have made spent grain dog treats numerous times.
Usually
4 cups grain
2 cup flour
1 cup Peanut butter
2 eggs.

My last batch of beer was an oatmeal stout, which left me with a lot of dark grains & oatmeal.
I know the dark grains are ok for dog treats, but is oatmeal ????

I checked all around the interwebs and couldn't find anything.

Anyone have any experience using oatmeal in spent grain dog treats or giving spent oatmeal to dogs?

I've given our dogs oatmeal cookies in the past and they were fine. This isn't hard proof and I'm not a vet but I would say it's ok. I would ask your vet.

Also not a vet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of dog foods with oats in them already.

According to this, should be fine, if not good for your dog, but this is an internet site so who knows. Safest thing is to ask your vet, but it sounds like you're good to go.

Called my Vet, which I should have done initially.
She said oatmeal is fine for dogs!

I have made spent grain dog treats numerous times.
Usually
4 cups grain
2 cup flour
1 cup Peanut butter
2 eggs.

My last batch of beer was an oatmeal stout, which left me with a lot of dark grains & oatmeal.
I know the dark grains are ok for dog treats, but is oatmeal ????

I checked all around the interwebs and couldn't find anything.

Anyone have any experience using oatmeal in spent grain dog treats or giving spent oatmeal to dogs?

That looks good enough for people food...Did you try it?

Yeah the only concern usually arises when you Hopped your mash.

Agreed. Hops and dogs are bad news. Check the hop growing section for horror stories.

A friend's puppy chewed on 1 or 2 cones out of curiosity before spitting them out. We laughed at the time. Later that night she took him to the emergency vet because he was vomiting and in generally bad shape. $800 later...she doesn't let that pup near hops anymore.

Oatmeal is actually quite beneficial for dogs as long as they don't eat a lot (like full bowls) of it on a regular basis (high plant protein based diet can be hard on a dog's kidneys). My wife is a vet and she recommends oatmeal all the time.

It aids in digestion, is a great moderate source of protein and is a decent replacement for dogs with wheat allergies. Grains are not generally bad for dogs - the whole anti-grain movement in pet foods is a reaction to a rise in dog grain allergies (and a resulting marketing strategy trying to tout quality). For years the grains used in pet foods were corn and soy products low in quality and over used as filler contributing to the growing allergy problem.

There are great foods out there with appropriate amounts of whole grains.

Oatmeal is actually quite beneficial for dogs as long as they don't eat a lot (like full bowls) of it on a regular basis (high plant protein based diet can be hard on a dog's kidneys). My wife is a vet and she recommends oatmeal all the time.

It aids in digestion, is a great moderate source of protein and is a decent replacement for dogs with wheat allergies. Grains are not generally bad for dogs - the whole anti-grain movement in pet foods is a reaction to a rise in dog grain allergies (and a resulting marketing strategy trying to tout quality). For years the grains used in pet foods were corn and soy products low in quality and over used as filler contributing to the growing allergy problem.

There are great foods out there with appropriate amounts of whole grains.

Dogs are omnivores like people. Cats, are carnivores. I think the anti-grain movement in pet foods is more for cats.

That looks good enough for people food...Did you try it?

I have tried them and even let my kids try them since they help me make them.
They taste like grain with a hint of PB

Yeah the only concern usually arises when you Hopped your mash.

I never hop my mash, since I always intend using the grains for biscuits.

Dogs are omnivores like people. Cats, are carnivores. I think the anti-grain movement in pet foods is more for cats.

I agree that cats are pure carnivore, but the anti grain movement is most definitely not only regarding cats. Grain free dog food is extremely prominent and being advertised as the most healthy dog food available in many cases.

That said - it's not a bad thing to have grain free choices since some dogs simply need grain free food because of allergies. Like anything, I suppose, marketing machines tend to pounce on a growing idea and it goes overboard but then calms down as the market saturates.

I agree that cats are pure carnivore, but the anti grain movement is most definitely not only regarding cats. Grain free dog food is extremely prominent and being advertised as the most healthy dog food available in many cases.

That said - it's not a bad thing to have grain free choices since some dogs simply need grain free food because of allergies. Like anything, I suppose, marketing machines tend to pounce on a growing idea and it goes overboard but then calms down as the market saturates.

I think a large part of it is the anti-gluten trend doing its rounds with the easily impressed upon in addition to those that actually need to be so. Reminds me of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like anything, I suppose, marketing machines tend to pounce on a growing idea and it goes overboard
Like when I bought a can of sweetened condensed milk, and it said "gluten free" in fancy lettering on the front of the label. Of course it's gluten free. It's milk and sugar!

Back